specific events configuraiton for an interface/host

specific events configuraiton for an interface/host

Terry-2
Hello,

Is it possible to have a different event configuration file for each
host/interface?  Let me explain why I want this, perhaps I am thinking
down the wrong road.   The events configuration file is where I
specify the severity for each event OID.  What if I want a different
severity based on the host?  Or even more detailed, what if I want a
different severity for an event for hostA where the %parm[#1]% for a
specific OID contains "XYZ" text?  Pretty granular but I need that.

Thanks!

Re: specific events configuraiton for an interface/host

Jeff Gehlbach
On Sep 10, 2008, at 1:01 PM, Terry wrote:

> Is it possible to have a different event configuration file for each
> host/interface?  Let me explain why I want this, perhaps I am thinking
> down the wrong road.   The events configuration file is where I
> specify the severity for each event OID.  What if I want a different
> severity based on the host?

You can't really do this in the event configuration file.  I would
suggest annotating the events of interest with alarm-data (see http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Configuring_alarms)
  and then using an automation (http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Automations
) to escalate the resulting alarms' severities based on the node from
which the triggering event was received.

> Or even more detailed, what if I want a
> different severity for an event for hostA where the %parm[#1]% for a
> specific OID contains "XYZ" text?  Pretty granular but I need that.

That's actually a much more straightforward request, and can be
fulfilled right in the event configuration.  In the event's <mask>,
after the last <maskelement>, add a <varbind> element specifying which
parameter number you're interested in and what its value should be
(starting the value with a tilde means "regex match"):

<event>
   <mask>
     <maskelement>
     </maskelement>
     <varbind>
       <vbnumber>1</vbnumber>
       <vbvalue>~.*XYZ.*</vbvalue>
     </varbind>
   </mask>
   <uei>uei.foo.com/bar/baz/XYZ</uei>
</event>

It's usually a good idea to put a catchall varbind-free definition
after all the varbind-containing ones just so that events that don't
match any of your definitions won't fall through the cracks and get
turned into enterpriseDefault ones.

-jeff

Re: specific events configuraiton for an interface/host

Aaron Paxson-2
"source" can also be used as a <mename> </mename> data inside a maskelement.

Aaron

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Jeff Gehlbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sep 10, 2008, at 1:01 PM, Terry wrote:

> Is it possible to have a different event configuration file for each
> host/interface?  Let me explain why I want this, perhaps I am thinking
> down the wrong road.   The events configuration file is where I
> specify the severity for each event OID.  What if I want a different
> severity based on the host?

You can't really do this in the event configuration file.  I would
suggest annotating the events of interest with alarm-data (see http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Configuring_alarms)
 and then using an automation (http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Automations
) to escalate the resulting alarms' severities based on the node from
which the triggering event was received.

> Or even more detailed, what if I want a
> different severity for an event for hostA where the %parm[#1]% for a
> specific OID contains "XYZ" text?  Pretty granular but I need that.

That's actually a much more straightforward request, and can be
fulfilled right in the event configuration.  In the event's <mask>,
after the last <maskelement>, add a <varbind> element specifying which
parameter number you're interested in and what its value should be
(starting the value with a tilde means "regex match"):

<event>
  <mask>
    <maskelement>
    </maskelement>
    <varbind>
      <vbnumber>1</vbnumber>
      <vbvalue>~.*XYZ.*</vbvalue>
    </varbind>
  </mask>
  <uei>uei.foo.com/bar/baz/XYZ</uei>
</event>

It's usually a good idea to put a catchall varbind-free definition
after all the varbind-containing ones just so that events that don't
match any of your definitions won't fall through the cracks and get
turned into enterpriseDefault ones.

-jeff

Aaron J. Paxson
---------