polling question: return code and STDOUT

polling question: return code and STDOUT

paulh

Hello,

I have a general (newbie) polling configuration question. Currently I've a functional setup monitoring the exit status of a net-snmp extend script using the OID of NET-SNMP-EXTEND-MIB::nsExtendResult."staleNFS" which contains the exit status of the script.

The poller-configuration.xml entry, testing for a non-zero exit status is:

    <service name="staleNFS" interval="300000" user-defined="false" status="on">

      <parameter key="retry" value="1"/>

      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000"/>

      <parameter key="port" value="161"/>

      <parameter key="oid" value=".1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.1.3.2.3.1.4.8.115.116.97.108.101.78.70.83" />

      <parameter key="operator" value="="/>

      <parameter key="operand" value="0"/>

    </service>

and when an outage occurs, the Minor Event text that is nicely displayed is:

staleNFS outage identified on interface 147.34.132.91 with reason code: Observed value '1' does not meet criteria '= 0'.

I am being requested by our users, (for easier triage) to grow this Reason message if possible, to include the STDOUT lines that my “extend” script returns, which are the paths to the actual NFS mounts that have an issue. The desired string is available via the NET-SNMP-EXTEND-MIB::nsExtendOutputFull."staleNFS"

So my question is how is it best to configure this? Yes I could set up a second service detector and polling entry to test this additional OID for a non-empty string. Alternatively I could abandon the existing return status service completely and use this second monitoring exclusively. Not thrilled about this one as I might get some false positives this way basing on STDOUT output of the script.

Is there an approach to augment the existing service/polling to solve this user request?

Thanks for reading this,

Paul

Note:  Am not collecting this data for a Resource Graph generation as we’ve no need for it on this service.