minion:ping - Does it work?

Marc Doesburg
Hello All,

I've spend this morning setting up a Minion (version 20.0.0) so I can play around with it. I configured all the required settings, but I couldn't get it to work.

I did the minion:ping and the test returned OK. But after checking re-checking I couldn't get it to work.

In the end I found the problem, I forgot to open the Broker TCP port 61616. I didn't think to check it because the minion:ping returned ok.

So I'm wondering if the minion:ping even works and really tests the connection.

Best regards,

--
Marc D.

Real is just a matter of perception

Re: minion:ping - Does it work?

Jesse White-3

Hi Mark,

The current broker connectivity test performed by the minion:ping command has proven to be unreliable.

I've logged an issue here with some more details:
    https://issues.opennms.org/browse/NMS-9445

Best,
Jesse

On 06/19/2017 07:44 AM, Marc Doesburg wrote:
Hello All,

I've spend this morning setting up a Minion (version 20.0.0) so I can play around with it. I configured all the required settings, but I couldn't get it to work.

I did the minion:ping and the test returned OK. But after checking re-checking I couldn't get it to work.

In the end I found the problem, I forgot to open the Broker TCP port 61616. I didn't think to check it because the minion:ping returned ok.

So I'm wondering if the minion:ping even works and really tests the connection.

Best regards,

--
Marc D.

Real is just a matter of perception

Re: minion:ping - Does it work?

Marc Doesburg
Hi Jesse,

Thank you for the update and for opening the ticket.

Best regards,

--

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Jesse White <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ronny Trommer-3
To get the minion to work please check the following things:

* OpenNMS Horizon is listening on TCP 61616
* Create a user “minion” in the WebUI with a password, e.g. “foobarpass” and you have assigned the role “ROLE_MINION” to the “minion” user
* Added the credentials to the Minion in the Karaf shell with [1]
* The minion:ping command tests the connection to the broker-url and ReST API defined in the http-url
* Make sure the http-url and the broker-url is reachable from your Minion to the OpenNMS Horizon instance, you can use telnet or nmap -p [61616 | 8980]
* In the Admin section of the Web UI under “Configure OpenNMS -> Manage Minion” your Minion should appear with the assigned location and the “Last Updated” should be a current time stamp.

Hope this helps.

[1] http://docs.opennms.org/opennms/releases/20.0.0/guide-install/guide-install.html#_authentication_and_authorization

> On 19. Jun 2017, at 13:44, Marc Doesburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> I've spend this morning setting up a Minion (version 20.0.0) so I can play around with it. I configured all the required settings, but I couldn't get it to work.
>
> I did the minion:ping and the test returned OK. But after checking re-checking I couldn't get it to work.
>
> In the end I found the problem, I forgot to open the Broker TCP port 61616. I didn't think to check it because the minion:ping returned ok.
>
> So I'm wondering if the minion:ping even works and really tests the connection.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Marc D.
>
> Real is just a matter of perception

Re: minion:ping - Does it work?

Marc Doesburg
Hi Ronny,

Thanks you for your reply. But like I said in my initial mail the Minion is working now. I forgot to open port 61616. I didn't bother to look at that because the minion:ping was successful.