manaully draw a map

tliu
Hi,

      Is  there a way to draw a map of network topology  manually with opennms 19.0.1?  because our devices do not support LLDP/CDP.

      Thanks

   Tim Liu

Re: manaully draw a map

Markus von Rüden
Hey Tim,

yes this is possible.
Internally it is called the “GraphMLTopologyProvider” which basically takes a XML formatted file and render it.

If you have any questions, let me know I can guide you through the steps.
The best way of contacting me is chat.opennms.org
My handle is mvrueden

Kind regards
- Markus

On 15. May 2017, at 16:34, tliu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

     Is  there a way to draw a map of network topology  manually with
opennms 19.0.1?  because our devices do not support LLDP/CDP.

     Thanks

  Tim Liu

Re: manaully draw a map

tliu
Hi Markus,

     Thank you very much!

     I already tried out with GraphMLTopologyProvider based on opennms-demo project.

     It is a nice way to draw a map. I know there are some NMS which allows to draw a map with diagram( flat or hierarchy). "writing a xml for a network topology" is a little bit time consuming, compared with diagram.

     best regards

    Tim Liu

Re: manaully draw a map

David Hustace

> On May 16, 2017, at 7:21 AM, tliu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> "writing a xml for a network topology" is a little bit time consuming, compared with diagram.

Perhaps you could provide an example?

Finally, I would say that it would be nearly impossible to model any complex topology of relationships and layers with a flat diagram. What is really lacking in our tooling is an easier, more iterative, API as well as UI to creating the topology that hides the complexity of the model.

IMHO,
David

David Hustace
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.

Re: manaully draw a map

tliu
Hi David,

    Thank you very much for your comments!

    I am working on a transition/demo from SNMPc(castle Rock Computing) to openNMS. It is hard to tell my employer will be happy with openNMS.
     With SNMPc, you can manually  draw a  flat diagram for a simple network, and hierarchy diagram for a complex network.
   Also the configuration of openNMS is a little hard  at the beginning. Mib compile is not efficient when it comes to a batch of new vendor mibs. you must figure out the dependency for those mibs and compile one by one.

   Best regards

   Tim liu