flap detection

Holder, Bill
Hi all,

    can ONMS be configured to do flap detection like Nagios does? Not too keen on getting midnight pages when our service provider starts slapping their routers around *again*.

Thanks,

/B

and/or publication of this e-mail message is prohibited.
computer system network.
Any attachments should be checked for viruses by you, before being opened. SunWater accepts no responsibility for an attachment that contains a virus.

Re: flap detection

Alexander Finger
I suggest to set the notification delays accordingly. Flap detection
means in the end: If the outage is below n seconds, don't tell me
about it.
You can produce the same behaviour either by setting higher timeouts
(I would not do it as you lose visibiltiy) or by configuring a
realistic delay for the notifications to go out.

What we typically do is:

- Wait five minutes
- Send a jabber message
- Wait five minutes
- Send a mail
- Wait 10 minutes
- Send a SMS

That makes sure that - when online - we get notified sort of "now" but
without being annoyed by flapping services; on the other hand we can
be sure that if something is down for 10 minutes, we get informed.

At the same time we don't lose the outage information as it's still recorded.

Those times need of course to be adapted to your services and organization.

best
Alex