cisco hsrp question

John Natschev
Hi.

I have two cisco multilayer switches configured with hsrp as a collapsed backbone.  in essence they are the network core.  when opennms detects them it detects them as separate devices as one may expect.  after a period of time though, and it's not very long in relative terms, opennms show them as one.  now logically opennms isn't doing anything wrong, they are one.  physically, of course, they are separate.

any ideas as to what i can do to maintain their separation?

by the way, opennms has been configured to not manage the hsrp addresses as well as the other routed virtual interfaces; that is the only managed interface on each switch is the virtual routed interface that connects to the same network as opennms.

also, this isn't actually a new "incident"; i only thought of it today as i needed to get some information and thought opennms was the best place for it.  then when i did a search i did get what i was looking for.  then i remembered what opennms does with these 2 systems.  it is not a new "incident" to the 1.5.94 snapshot version i'm using either.

cheers,
John Natschev

Re: cisco hsrp question

Shawn Heisey
I'm not terribly well versed in SNMP, but I do know the Cisco world
fairly well.  I've never had this particular problem with any of my HSRP
Cisco gear and OpenNMS.

I do have a theory about what might be happening, though.  Did you
perhaps create the configuration of the second switch by copy/paste or
TFTP from the first switch's configuration?  If so, both devices may
have the same snmp engineID configured:

!
snmp-server engineID local xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
!

I just noticed that on my main HSRP router pair, one unit is running
12.4(16) and contains the engineID command in the running configuration,
but the other is running 12.4(18) and does not.  Documentation says that
it isn't supposed to get saved in the config.  It also says that
changing the engineID when using SNMPv3 will require regenerating passwords.

Thanks,
Shawn

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 19:23 -0600, Shawn Heisey wrote:
[...]

Hi Shawn.

Thanks for your reply.  The IOS version on each switch is indentical and there is no snmp-server engineID configured on either switch.  Still using SNMPv2c at the moment.  Weird.

Cheers,
John.