What to Do with Laptops?

Alex Meyer
I'm running OpenNMS 1.5.93 on Linux (amd64 Debian Etch).  I've got it
set up for auto-discovery and I'm running linkd.  One of my main
goals with this installation is just to keep track of what we've got
and where it is.

This leads to a bit of a conundrum with the DHCP hosts, specifically
the laptops that people often bring home each night.  I'm seeing
outages in the UI and I don't want to see outages for these hosts.

I don't want to delete the nodes, even if they wouldn't come back via
discovery.  I don't want to unmanage them.  I want to poll them (so I
can tell the police when they were stolen if we have another break-
in).  I want to know what they're running (SQLServer, etc.).  I want
to know to what switch they're connected.

These nodes are easily identified by IP range.  Is there some way to
tell the system/UI to worry about them just a little less?

Thanks much.

-- Alex Meyer -- [hidden email]

Re: What to Do with Laptops?

Alexander Finger
Alex, check the discussion thread in this list for the filtering
topic. You can add an exlusion filter on your notifications to not
trigger for the ip ranges in question.
Another option would be to not discover them (eg ignore them completely).
cheers
Alex

Re: What to Do with Laptops?

Fred Skrotzki
It's never a easy task with notebooks.  We ended up creating a subnet
just for them and ignore them.

Things to think about when filtering:  Do you just want to be not
notified when they go off line between a specific set of hours?  Say
4:30 to 6:30 pm?  That will get around the going home notices, but what
about the late night guy who leaves at 8 pm? Or the one who leaves early
to go to the Doctor..

How about when it's gone more then 24 hours?  Or more then 72 hours
(weekend plus holiday), Sales person on the road for a week?

I agree that a notice of a notebook leaving at midnight is probably a
real good thing but in the end that's why we excluded them.  We could
have written all kinds of filters till we were 80 and not have covered
the exceptions.

Re: What to Do with Laptops?

Alex Meyer
Sorry for not being clear enough previously.  I'm not really talking
about notifications.  In fact, I'm not currently doing any notification.
  What I don't like is seeing all the spurious "outages" in the UI,
potentially distracting from important outages.

If I understand things corrently, I think I'm looking for a way to
suppress "node down" and/or "node lost service" events that arise from
polling.  Can this be done by IP range?

As mentioned, I'm not looking for a way to ignore them completely.

Thanks.

Alexander Finger wrote:

> Alex, check the discussion thread in this list for the filtering
> topic. You can add an exlusion filter on your notifications to not
> trigger for the ip ranges in question.
> Another option would be to not discover them (eg ignore them completely).
> cheers
> Alex

-- Alex Meyer -- http://www.alexmeyer.com/ --

Re: What to Do with Laptops?

Jeff Gehlbach
On Sep 11, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Alex Meyer wrote:

> If I understand things corrently, I think I'm looking for a way to
> suppress "node down" and/or "node lost service" events that arise from
> polling.  Can this be done by IP range?

So, you want to poll laptops for availability so that you'll know when
they go away.  But you don't want to know when they go away.

My head a splode.

-jeff

Re: What to Do with Laptops?

Alex Meyer
I hope I'm not quite as dense as it seems.  The difference has to do
with how the information comes to light.  I don't want the "outage" to
come looking for me.  I do, however, want to be able to look at the RRD
graph for pings to see when the box stopped responding.  I want
retrospective knowledge, not proactive knowledge, for the laptops.

Jeff Gehlbach wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Alex Meyer wrote:
>
>> If I understand things corrently, I think I'm looking for a way to
>> suppress "node down" and/or "node lost service" events that arise from
>> polling.  Can this be done by IP range?
>
> So, you want to poll laptops for availability so that you'll know when
> they go away.  But you don't want to know when they go away.
>
> My head a splode.
>
> -jeff

-- Alex Meyer -- http://www.alexmeyer.com/ --

Re: What to Do with Laptops?

Duncan Hill
Alex Meyer wrote:
> I hope I'm not quite as dense as it seems.  The difference has to do
> with how the information comes to light.  I don't want the "outage" to
> come looking for me.  I do, however, want to be able to look at the RRD
> graph for pings to see when the box stopped responding.  I want
> retrospective knowledge, not proactive knowledge, for the laptops.

Second ONMS install, second DB, notifications set to no?

Re: What to Do with Laptops?

Jeff Gehlbach
On Sep 11, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Duncan Hill wrote:

> Alex Meyer wrote:
>> I hope I'm not quite as dense as it seems.  The difference has to do
>> with how the information comes to light.  I don't want the "outage"
>> come looking for me.  I do, however, want to be able to look at the
>> RRD
>> graph for pings to see when the box stopped responding.  I want
>> retrospective knowledge, not proactive knowledge, for the laptops.
>
> Second ONMS install, second DB, notifications set to no?

That's what I"m thinking.  Or a proper inventory management system,
which seems to be what you really want for your laptops, and which
openNMS is not designed to be.

Alex, I didn't mean to insinuate that you're dense, only that you were
asking for openNMS to be two seemingly quite similar but actually
quite different things simultaneously.  A canoe and a bucket are both
for dealing with water, but using a canoe as a sort of bucket (i.e.
filling it with water) makes it really unwieldy to use as a canoe :)

-jeff

Re: What to Do with Laptops?

ayresw
Couldn't one write an automation to clear out the unwanted events every
x minutes?

--Bill--