Quantcast

Using OpenNMS to monitor hosts two ways (intranet and Internet)

Using OpenNMS to monitor hosts two ways (intranet and Internet)

Jimisola Laursen
Administrator
Hi!

I'll try to explain our setup as easy as I can.

We have an intranet where we use OpenNMS to monitor our services.

Some of the services on the intranet servers are available from Internet (outside of our company). We would like to monitor these services from the Internet as well. Verifying that a service works on our intranet is not the same as monitoring it from the outside as there are firewalls etc between Internet and intranet.

We want to use the same OpenNMS installation for various (obvious) reasons. Is there a way to do this?
Simple pointing OpenNMS to the external IPs would still keep it within our network and hence not be a complete test since it would not be an exact replica of traffic coming from the Internet.

One way would be for an OpenNMS Agent to be placed outside which the OpenNMS (server) installation then collect data from.

Regards,
Jimisola

Re: Using OpenNMS to monitor hosts two ways (intranet and Internet)

Duncan Hill

> We want to use the same OpenNMS installation for various (obvious)
> reasons.
> Is there a way to do this?

Install an ADSL line (firewall etc as appropriate), route your external
subnet via that connection for the OpenNMS box only.  Presto, external
testing.

Re: Using OpenNMS to monitor hosts two ways (intranet and Internet)

Duncan Hill

> We want to use the same OpenNMS installation for various (obvious)
> reasons.
> Is there a way to do this?

Install an ADSL line (firewall etc as appropriate), route your external
subnet via that connection for the OpenNMS box only.  Presto, external
testing.

Re: Using OpenNMS to monitor hosts two ways (intranet and Internet)

Alexander Finger
You could install a distributed poller outside of your perimeter.