Search: "Not Providing service"

paulh

Has anyone ever found the need to search for the set of hosts which currently are *not* providing a service?  In other words if you have a requisition with a number of services defined (in this case net-snmp ones) and say you populate a large number of hosts into this req from your datacenter. Furthermore you’ve hosts OS’s spanning years of versions and flavors of the OS.

Now you’d like a way to easily find which hosts are not providing a service (for a number of reasons like buggy net-snmp, snmp was never installed, the net-snmp is too old to support the “extend” feature etc etc) via Search.

Search has “Providing service”  but what you’d like is to discover which hosts *aren’t* providing the service. Yes you could pour through the large list of alerts (consider 1000’s of hosts) but would it not be nice to simply have search filter them out quickly?

I hope that I am missing something and there is an easy way to do this.  And if not, and others find the idea of use, maybe make this into an enhancement request.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Search: "Not Providing service"

Dino Yancey
I don't know of a way to do this with the search webui (and dont have
my onms console in front of me to look), but it's pretty easy to do
this through the notification UI as a workaround.  You can build
filters in the notification UI with negated services and verify them,
which would at least give you the list of nodes matching the filter
(i.e. not providing the service)

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Hernandez, Paul
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone ever found the need to search for the set of hosts which
> currently are *not* providing a service?  In other words if you have a
> requisition with a number of services defined (in this case net-snmp ones)
> and say you populate a large number of hosts into this req from your
> datacenter. Furthermore you’ve hosts OS’s spanning years of versions and
> flavors of the OS.
>

> Now you’d like a way to easily find which hosts are not providing a service
> (for a number of reasons like buggy net-snmp, snmp was never installed, the
> net-snmp is too old to support the “extend” feature etc etc) via Search.
>

> Search has “Providing service”  but what you’d like is to discover which
> hosts *aren’t* providing the service. Yes you could pour through the large
> list of alerts (consider 1000’s of hosts) but would it not be nice to simply
> have search filter them out quickly?
>

> I hope that I am missing something and there is an easy way to do this.  And
> if not, and others find the idea of use, maybe make this into an enhancement
> request.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Re: Search: "Not Providing service"

Ken Eshelby
I would query the db directly if this was infrequent.  If it is a regularly needed, build a Jasper report that can be scheduled periodically.

Re: Search: "Not Providing service"

paulh

Hi Dino,

Thanks for the reply. Got pulled in another direction and am just returning to this.

" You can build filters in the notification UI with negated services and verify them, which would at least give you the list of nodes matching the filter"

This sounds encouraging Dino. All I see is:

But I think this is for when a service is defined but then lost.  In my case I am looking for nodes where the service is not defined for that node in onms.

In the foreign source definition, I define a default set of services that may be available from a host’s net-snmp.  The ones that can provide the bits do so but the rest show only SSH and ICMP which are the only services not written by me referenced in the default services list for the foreign source.

Actually that isn’t 100% accurate as I left the checking of SNMP itself in the defaults list.

-Paul

I don't know of a way to do this with the search webui (and dont have my onms console in front of me to look), but it's pretty easy to do this through the notification UI as a workaround.  You can build filters in the notification UI with negated services and verify them, which would at least give you the list of nodes matching the filter (i.e. not providing the service)

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Hernandez, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone ever found the need to search for the set of hosts which

> currently are *not* providing a service?  In other words if you have a

> requisition with a number of services defined (in this case net-snmp

> ones) and say you populate a large number of hosts into this req from

> your datacenter. Furthermore you’ve hosts OS’s spanning years of

> versions and flavors of the OS.

> Now you’d like a way to easily find which hosts are not providing a

> service (for a number of reasons like buggy net-snmp, snmp was never

> installed, the net-snmp is too old to support the “extend” feature etc etc) via Search.

> Search has “Providing service”  but what you’d like is to discover

> which hosts *aren’t* providing the service. Yes you could pour through

> the large list of alerts (consider 1000’s of hosts) but would it not

> be nice to simply have search filter them out quickly?

> I hope that I am missing something and there is an easy way to do

> this.  And if not, and others find the idea of use, maybe make this

> into an enhancement request.

> Thanks,

> Paul

> To *unsubscribe* or change your subscription options, see the bottom

> of this

> page:

Re: Search: "Not Providing service"

Dino Yancey
Hi,

Look in the "Add New Event Notification" UI.  In that UI, you can negate services, click "validate rule results" and see a list of nodes matching that filter, i.e. not providing the service.  It's not a report, but if you're just looking to identify mis-configured nodes, it will at least give you a list.
Inline image 1

The filter it displays, in case it isn't legible or the image doesn't go through, is "(IPADDR IPLIKE *.*.*.*) &  (!isSNMP )"

Dino

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Hernandez, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Dino,

Thanks for the reply. Got pulled in another direction and am just returning to this.

" You can build filters in the notification UI with negated services and verify them, which would at least give you the list of nodes matching the filter"

This sounds encouraging Dino. All I see is:

But I think this is for when a service is defined but then lost.  In my case I am looking for nodes where the service is not defined for that node in onms.

In the foreign source definition, I define a default set of services that may be available from a host’s net-snmp.  The ones that can provide the bits do so but the rest show only SSH and ICMP which are the only services not written by me referenced in the default services list for the foreign source.

Actually that isn’t 100% accurate as I left the checking of SNMP itself in the defaults list.

-Paul

I don't know of a way to do this with the search webui (and dont have my onms console in front of me to look), but it's pretty easy to do this through the notification UI as a workaround.  You can build filters in the notification UI with negated services and verify them, which would at least give you the list of nodes matching the filter (i.e. not providing the service)

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Hernandez, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone ever found the need to search for the set of hosts which

> currently are *not* providing a service?  In other words if you have a

> requisition with a number of services defined (in this case net-snmp

> ones) and say you populate a large number of hosts into this req from

> your datacenter. Furthermore you’ve hosts OS’s spanning years of

> versions and flavors of the OS.

> Now you’d like a way to easily find which hosts are not providing a

> service (for a number of reasons like buggy net-snmp, snmp was never

> installed, the net-snmp is too old to support the “extend” feature etc etc) via Search.

> Search has “Providing service”  but what you’d like is to discover

> which hosts *aren’t* providing the service. Yes you could pour through

> the large list of alerts (consider 1000’s of hosts) but would it not

> be nice to simply have search filter them out quickly?

> I hope that I am missing something and there is an easy way to do

> this.  And if not, and others find the idea of use, maybe make this

> into an enhancement request.

> Thanks,

> Paul

> To *unsubscribe* or change your subscription options, see the bottom

> of this

> page:

Re: Search: "Not Providing service"

paulh

Dino,

I think I may have hit a bug because via this approach, the validate rules results can say that the service is missing, yet when you search the IP address and look, this service is actually there:

But if I search that IP I see:

Bug?

-Paul