Oracle table monitoring

Faisal Ali

Hi,

Can OpenNMS monitor oracle database, or more specifically, run some sql queries against an oracle database that needs to be monitored.

Faisal Ali

Re: Oracle table monitoring

Jeff Gehlbach
On Sep 10, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Faisal Ali wrote:

> Can OpenNMS monitor oracle database, or more specifically, run some
> sql queries against an oracle database that needs to be monitored.

Yes, you can use the JdbcMonitor to run arbitrary SQL queries.  Doing
this repeatedly may anger your DBA because Oracle will have to prepare
the statement every time or retrieve it from a query cache.  If you
have the cooperation of your DBA, you can use the
JdbcStoredProcedureMonitor instead.

http://www.opennms.org/index.php/JDBC_stored_procedure_monitor

-jeff

Re: Oracle table monitoring

Faisal Ali
Thanks for the quick info Jeff

I talked to DBA and he wants to go with SQL queries if its easy to do. What
will I need to make this work. Do I need some Oracle software or sqlnet
installed on onms linux machine. Appreciate if you can point me to some
write-up.

On Sep 10, 2008, at 5:40 PM, Faisal Ali wrote:

> I talked to DBA and he wants to go with SQL queries if its easy to
> do. What
> will I need to make this work. Do I need some Oracle software or
> sqlnet
> installed on onms linux machine.

You'll need to get the JDBC JAR from Oracle and install it in your
OPENNMS_HOME/lib directory.

I told you wrong about what the JdbcMonitor does.  It does not execute
arbitrary SQL statements; instead it simply attempts to connect and
retrieve the database catalog for a given JDBC URL.  Here's a write-up:

http://www.opennms.org/index.php/JDBC_Monitor

-jeff

Re: Oracle table monitoring

Faisal Ali
I will go with store procedures then...I am guessing I will need the jar
files for that as well...correct?

On Sep 10, 2008, at 6:11 PM, Faisal Ali wrote:

> I will go with store procedures then...I am guessing I will need the
> jar
> files for that as well...correct?

Yes, in order to do JDBC operations against an RDBMS other than
PostgreSQL (whose JDBC JAR is included with openNMS), you will need to
get the right JDBC JAR for that RDBMS from the vendor.

-jeff