Opennms to receive snmptraps to generate events

Opennms to receive snmptraps to generate events

gbesner
Hi all,

first, i've been reading this forum for quite a bit, never had to post until now, great community here :) I have a working opennms env, all is good, thanks for the opennms 101 youtube videos. I really love it, I feel I have a plain (match my essential needs) env but would like to push it further

Im trying to understand/get snmp trap to generate events in opennms and im having a hard time.

Im on centos 7 withe latest 1.9 stable release of opennms. In class 7 (snmp traps) of the youtube series, the teacher is generating a trap from the opennms server itself from the following command :

snmptrap -v 1 -c public 127.0.0.1 .1.3.6.1.4.1.99999.2 localhost 6 1 ' ' .1.3.6.1.4.1.99999.3.1 s 'They be bored'

That works just fine and I get a default enterprise event and the class continues ...

Now im trying to get the same result from one of my monitored test system (windows 2012 server) so I set the snmp service to send traps to opennms and my workstation on the public community. Once I generated the trap from my test box, I receive the trap on my workstation listening using Ireasoning MIB browser but yet no events in opennms.

The opennms trapd.log has entries from 8 days ago and im not sure how to go forward from here.

Can you guys help me out figuring out how to go forward ?

Thank you

Re: Opennms to receive snmptraps to generate events

paisano
Is opennms listening for traps on all interfaces, as shown by the "*"?

root@corsair [~]# lsof -i:162
COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE  DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
java    35036 root  639u  IPv4 2763856      0t0  UDP *:snmptrap