Opennms Remote Poller Solution

12

Opennms Remote Poller Solution

mlosee
I am new to setting up a remote poller for monitoring networks behind routers and firewalls. I am running the unstable 1.5.93 version of opennms. I have loaded the opennms-remote-poller rpm onto another machine located on a different network. Now i've followed all the configuration instructions that i could find. However i am still not getting the two computers to communicate with eachother. I am not getting any errors in any of my logs. I am just not getting any communication between the two devices. Can someone give me a hand with this or at least point me in the right direction.

Sincerely,

Matthew Losee

Re: Opennms Remote Poller Solution

Jeff Gehlbach
On Aug 22, 2008, at 3:53 PM, mlosee wrote:

> Now i've followed all the configuration instructions that
> i could find.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what you've tried, and maybe provide
some of the configuration files that those instructions had you edit?

-jeff

Re: Opennms Remote Poller Solution

mlosee
Okay here is the configuration files that i modified according to the
opennms documentation on remote polling.
First file is the monitoring-locations.xml file
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<monitoring-locations-configuration
  xmlns="http://www.opennms.org/xsd/config/monitoring-locations"

xsi:schemaLocation="http://xmlns.opennms.org/xsd/config/monitoring-locations

http://www.opennms.org/xsd/config/monitoring-locations.xsd ">
  <locations>
    <location-def location-name="NMSFrank" monitoring-area="frankfort"
polling-package-name="Frankfort"/>
  </locations>
</monitoring-locations-configuration>

The other file is the poller-configuration.xml file. tHe beggining
portion

  </package>
  <package name="Frankfort" remote="true">
    <filter>IPADDR != '*.*.*.*'</filter>
    <include-range begin="10.0.60.1" end="10.0.60.254" />
    <rrd step="300">
      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:2016</rra>
      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:4464</rra>
      <rra>RRA:MIN:0.5:12:4464</rra>
      <rra>RRA:MAX:0.5:12:4464</rra>
    </rrd>
    <service name="ICMP" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="2" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="icmp" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="icmp" />
    </service>

The rest of the file is the same as the default configuration

As with the remote pollers configuration. I used yum to install it on an
fc9 installation of linux. I installed the remote-poller rpm. ver.
1.5.93. I Changed the files to point back to the java folders and other
configurations to make it work. Then i followed the instructions to use
the webstart from the opennms install. Doing this i did it on the same
network as the opennms server. So there is no firewalls and nat tables
that are being traversed.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Sincerely,

Matthew Losee
Network Technician

On Aug 25, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Matt Losee wrote:

> First file is the monitoring-locations.xml file

That one looks OK.

> The other file is the poller-configuration.xml file. tHe beggining
> portion
>

>  </package>
>  <package name="Frankfort" remote="true">
>    <filter>IPADDR != '*.*.*.*'</filter>
>    <include-range begin="10.0.60.1" end="10.0.60.254" />
>    <rrd step="300">
>      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:2016</rra>
>      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:4464</rra>
>      <rra>RRA:MIN:0.5:12:4464</rra>
>      <rra>RRA:MAX:0.5:12:4464</rra>
>    </rrd>
>    <service name="ICMP" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
> status="on">

This is a problem.  The ICMP monitor is not distributable because it
requires a JNI method.  To do a ping from a remote poller, you must
use the org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.AvailabilityMonitor class,
so you must also use a different service name e.g. "Availability" or
"AVAIL".  You can still use "icmp" as the rrd-base-name and ds-name,
though.

One caveat about the AvailabilityMonitor: Unfortunately Sun does not
provide a deterministic way to do ICMP ping without bringing JNI into
the picture, so you must run the remote poller as root on Unix in
order for it to do ICMP pings.  If it's run as a normal user, it will
silently fall back to using TCP echo requests, which many devices to
not respond to, so if you see a bunch of AVAIL outages pouring in from
your remote monitors, suspect this situation first.

-jeff

Re: [opennms-discuss] Opennms Remote Poller Solution

mlosee
Okay jeff, I guess i'm missing what you are talking about there. So i
need to modify the polling files to something different. Now i'm not
familiar as to what JNI does for me and how i need to setup this polling
files.

Or just point me in the right direction to the documentation.

Sincerely,
Matthew Losee
Network Technician.

On Aug 25, 2008, at 1:04 PM, mlosee wrote:

> Okay jeff, I guess i'm missing what you are talking about there. So i
> need to modify the polling files to something different.

What I'm saying is that you can't use the IcmpMonitor (which is tied
to the "ICMP" service in the default "example1" package via a
<monitor> element at the bottom of poller-configuration.xml) in a
remote polling package. Therefore you need to use a different service
name (e.g. "AVAIL") and a different monitor class (specifically,
org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.AvailabilityMonitor) in place of
ICMP in your remote packages.

> Now i'm not familiar as to what JNI does for me and how i need to
> setup this polling
> files.

JNI is Java Native Interface.  It's a way for Java classes to use code
written in a compiled native language, such as C, to accomplish things
that the Java VM does not allow.  Crafting ICMP echo-request datagrams
(which is what ICMP pings are) is one of those things.  We use JNI for
ICMP ping when polling with the centralized poller, but it's not
feasible to do this with the remote poller.

You would write your service definition like this:

     <service name="AVAIL" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
       <parameter key="retry" value="2" />
       <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
       <parameter key="rrd-repository" value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/
response" />
       <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="icmp" />
       <parameter key="ds-name" value="icmp" />
     </service>

And add a corresponding monitor class definition for it like this:

   <monitor service="AVAIL" class-
name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.AvailabilityMonitor" />

This of course implies that you'll need to discover the AVAIL service
on all your remotely-polled nodes as well.  The entry in capsd-
configuration.xml for that would go like this:

     <protocol-plugin protocol="AVAIL" class-
name="org.opennms.netmgt.capsd.plugins.IcmpPlugin" scan="on" user-
defined="false">
         <property key="timeout" value="2000" />
         <property key="retry" value="1" />
     </protocol-plugin>

You still use the IcmpPlugin class in capsd-configuration because all
capsd scanning is done centrally, where the JNI ICMP method is
available.

-jeff

Re: [opennms-discuss] Opennms Remote Poller Solution

mlosee
Okay i understand that now and the reasons. Now what i don't get is how
does it communicate back to the Central server. Does it use DNS
resolution or can you manually put an ip address in to connect directly
to the central server from a remote poller. Or does the Central server
need to have the ip address of the remote poller. This is what is really
getting me.

Sincerely,
Matthew Losee

On Aug 27, 2008, at 2:11 PM, mlosee wrote:

> Okay i understand that now and the reasons. Now what i don't get is
> how
> does it communicate back to the Central server. Does it use DNS
> resolution or can you manually put an ip address in to connect
> directly
> to the central server from a remote poller. Or does the Central server
> need to have the ip address of the remote poller. This is what is
> really
> getting me.

Please read:

http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Distributed_Monitoring

The remote poller connects to the poller backend on the central
server.  It uses the hostname or IP address in the "rmi://" URL (RMI
== Remote Method Invocation) that you provide (if running on the
command line) or that is furnished automatically if running as a Web
Start app.  If the RMI URL uses a hostname, then it's resolved using
the system resolver, so it could be DNS or /etc/hosts or LDAP or NIS
doing the resolution.  The important thing is that the OpenNMS server
and all the remote pollers agree on the IP address on the OpenNMS
server that will be used for all RMI communication.  The wiki article
linked above discusses this point in some detail.

-jeff

Re: Opennms Remote Poller Solution

mlosee
Okay i have followed everything that iv'e been told. I have modified all
the files that i need to and i still can not get my remote pollers to
connect to the main ONMS system. I have even tried using a windows
computer to use hte java web start. I can not seem to get the remote
poller to connect to the main system. I searched through all the logs
for an answer and was unable to even see a connection between the remote
poller and the main server. It's like the poller is not even starting. I
have specified by IP address the main nms server in the remote-poller.sh
script. Even the location name i check to verify that it was correct.

Can anyone give me a hand here as to what my problem could be. The two
servers can ping eachother. they are on different networks. There is no
ports that are being blocked. The firewalls on both servers are turned
off. Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Matthew R. losee

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 14:19 -0400, Jeff Gehlbach wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2008, at 2:11 PM, mlosee wrote:
>
> > Okay i understand that now and the reasons. Now what i don't get is
> > how
> > does it communicate back to the Central server. Does it use DNS
> > resolution or can you manually put an ip address in to connect
> > directly
> > to the central server from a remote poller. Or does the Central server
> > need to have the ip address of the remote poller. This is what is
> > really
> > getting me.
>
> Please read:
>
> http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Distributed_Monitoring
>
> The remote poller connects to the poller backend on the central
> server.  It uses the hostname or IP address in the "rmi://" URL (RMI
> == Remote Method Invocation) that you provide (if running on the
> command line) or that is furnished automatically if running as a Web
> Start app.  If the RMI URL uses a hostname, then it's resolved using
> the system resolver, so it could be DNS or /etc/hosts or LDAP or NIS
> doing the resolution.  The important thing is that the OpenNMS server
> and all the remote pollers agree on the IP address on the OpenNMS
> server that will be used for all RMI communication.  The wiki article
> linked above discusses this point in some detail.
>
> -jeff

Sincerely,

Matthew Losee
Network Technician

On Aug 29, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Matt Losee wrote:

> It's like the poller is not even starting. I
> have specified by IP address the main nms server in the remote-
> poller.sh
> script. Even the location name i check to verify that it was correct.

When the remote poller webstart launched for the first time, did you
get a window asking you to pick a location name?

-jeff

Re: Opennms Remote Poller Solution

mlosee
No i was not prompted for that. I used the following when i did this
from a webstart dialog. I was using the mozilla firefox browser. I've
tried this both on a linux box that had the remote poller installed and
configured and a windows box that did not.

http://"ONMS":8980/opennms/webstart/app.jnlp

Both times it connected to server or i thought connected to the server
and downloaded the ap i presume and then prompted it was finished and
exited out. I clicked on the icon it created thinking it would start the
remote server and it just opened a browser and looked like it connected
then closed out. No process running that shows it is running.

Sincerely,
Matthew Losee

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 15:44 -0400, Jeff Gehlbach wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Matt Losee wrote:
>
> > It's like the poller is not even starting. I
> > have specified by IP address the main nms server in the remote-
> > poller.sh
> > script. Even the location name i check to verify that it was correct.
>
> When the remote poller webstart launched for the first time, did you
> get a window asking you to pick a location name?
>
> -jeff

Sincerely,

Matthew Losee
Network Technician

On Aug 29, 2008, at 3:48 PM, Matt Losee wrote:

> No i was not prompted for that. I used the following when i did this
> from a webstart dialog. I was using the mozilla firefox browser. I've
> tried this both on a linux box that had the remote poller installed
> and
> configured and a windows box that did not.
>
> http://"ONMS":8980/opennms/webstart/app.jnlp
>
> Both times it connected to server or i thought connected to the server
> and downloaded the ap i presume and then prompted it was finished and
> exited out. I clicked on the icon it created thinking it would start
> the
> remote server and it just opened a browser and looked like it
> connected
> then closed out. No process running that shows it is running.

OK, I think there was an issue with the webstart remote poller in
1.5.93 that caused problems for many folks.  I ran across it myself
earlier today in some testing.  If you can upgrade to the latest
1.5.94 snapshot, that should fix the problem.

-jeff

Re: Opennms Remote Poller Solution

mlosee
Okay what about the command line start. Take it the same issue exists
what that as well.

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 16:21 -0400, Jeff Gehlbach wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2008, at 3:48 PM, Matt Losee wrote:
>
> > No i was not prompted for that. I used the following when i did this
> > from a webstart dialog. I was using the mozilla firefox browser. I've
> > tried this both on a linux box that had the remote poller installed
> > and
> > configured and a windows box that did not.
> >
> > http://"ONMS":8980/opennms/webstart/app.jnlp
> >
> > Both times it connected to server or i thought connected to the server
> > and downloaded the ap i presume and then prompted it was finished and
> > exited out. I clicked on the icon it created thinking it would start
> > the
> > remote server and it just opened a browser and looked like it
> > connected
> > then closed out. No process running that shows it is running.
>
> OK, I think there was an issue with the webstart remote poller in
> 1.5.93 that caused problems for many folks.  I ran across it myself
> earlier today in some testing.  If you can upgrade to the latest
> 1.5.94 snapshot, that should fix the problem.
>
> -jeff

Sincerely,

Matthew Losee
Network Technician

On Aug 29, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Matt Losee wrote:

> Okay what about the command line start. Take it the same issue exists
> what that as well.

I don't know since I haven't used the headless JAR remote poller in a
long time, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

We did a whole bunch of work on the remote poller packaging at Dev-Jam
at the end of July.  There's now both a GUI and a headless version
available via JNLP; the way forward for headless operation will be
JNLP for most environments, because that gives automatic self-updating
client code for free.

-jeff

Test

Palmer, Kurt

Test  1

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of eRT that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.

Re: Opennms Remote Poller Solution

mlosee
jeff, I did upgrade to the new snapshot of opennms. However still the
same problem is happening. I can not see anything that links the two
servers together. When i run the webapp to get the remote monitoring to
start. It runs though reaches the end and then i get nothing. No
indication that the two servers are communicating. I am running iftop to
monitor network traffic coming in and out. I am unable to find anything
in the logs. However i do see the connection and download of the webapp.
After that there is no communication between the two servers. I have
tried to setup the application in the webui as well to see if i needed
to do that. and i still get nothing. Any ideas. I entered in all the
information as we have gone over in past responses.

Sincerely,
Matthew Losee

Re: Opennms Remote Poller Solution

Jeff Gehlbach
Here's what you should see when you browse to OPENNMS_SERVER:8980/
opennms/webstart/app.jnlp -- a Java Web Start downloader:

You may be asked whether to trust a signing certificate, after which
the remote poller GUI window should appear and prompt you to register
to an available monitoring location:

After registering, the remote poller window will refresh to look like
this:

You should also see the new remote location monitor listed in the page
at http://OPENNMS_SERVER:8980/opennms/distributed/
locationMonitorList.htm.

How far down this walk-through are you getting?

-jeff

Picture 5.png (56K) Download Attachment
Picture 1.png (48K) Download Attachment
Picture 2.png (96K) Download Attachment
Picture 1.png (112K) Download Attachment

Re: Opennms Remote Poller Solution

mlosee
I get to the downloading application and then it exits out.

sincerely,
Matthew Losee

On Sep 4, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Matt Losee wrote:

> I get to the downloading application and then it exits out.

If you launch the web start cache viewer by running "javaws -viewer",
do you see "OpenNMS Remote Poller (GUI)" in the list of applications
in your cache?

-jeff

Re: Opennms Remote Poller Solution

mlosee
No i do not. I tested it both on a ubuntu OS machine and a win xp
machine. Both showed nothing in the viewer.

Is there something that i'm just missing in the configurations. Below
are the configurations that i have.

Poller Configuration.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?castor class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.PollerConfiguration"?>
<poller-configuration threads="30"
                      serviceUnresponsiveEnabled="false"
                      nextOutageId="SELECT nextval('outageNxtId')"
xmlrpc="false">
  <node-outage status="on" pollAllIfNoCriticalServiceDefined="true">
    <critical-service name="ICMP" />
  </node-outage>
  <package name="example1">
    <filter>IPADDR != '0.0.0.0'</filter>
    <include-range begin="1.1.1.1" end="254.254.254.254" />
    <rrd step="300">
      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:2016</rra>
      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:1488</rra>
      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:366</rra>
      <rra>RRA:MAX:0.5:288:366</rra>
      <rra>RRA:MIN:0.5:288:366</rra>
    </rrd>
    <service name="ICMP" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="2" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="icmp" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="icmp" />
    </service>
    <service name="DNS" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="2" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="5000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="53" />
      <parameter key="lookup" value="localhost" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="dns" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="dns" />
    </service>
    <service name="SMTP" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="25" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="smtp" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="smtp" />
    </service>
    <service name="FTP" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="21" />
      <parameter key="userid" value="" />
      <parameter key="password" value="" />
    </service>
    <service name="SNMP" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="off">
      <parameter key="retry" value="2" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="161" />
      <parameter key="oid" value=".1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0" />
    </service>
    <service name="HTTP" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="80" />
      <parameter key="url" value="/" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="http" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="http" />
    </service>
    <service name="HTTP-8080" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="8080" />
      <parameter key="url" value="/" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="http-8080" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="http-8080" />
    </service>
    <service name="HTTP-8000" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="8000" />
      <parameter key="url" value="/" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="http-8000" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="http-8000" />
    </service>
    <service name="HTTPS" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="5000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="443" />
      <parameter key="url" value="/" />
    </service>
    <service name="HypericAgent" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="2200" />
      <parameter key="port" value="2144" />
    </service>
    <service name="HypericHQ" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="hyperic-hq" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="hyperic-hq" />
      <parameter key="page-sequence">
        <page-sequence>
          <page path="/Login.do" port="7080" successMatch="HQ Login" />
          <page path="/j_security_check.do" port="7080" method="POST"
            failureMatch="(?s)The username or password provided does not
match our records" failureMessage="HQ Login in Failed"
            successMatch="HQ Dashboard">
            <parameter key="j_username" value="hqadmin" />
            <parameter key="j_password" value="hqadmin" />
          </page>
          <page path="/Logout.do" port="7080" successMatch="HQ Login" />
        </page-sequence>
      </parameter>
    </service>
    <service name="MySQL" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="3306" />
      <parameter key="banner" value="*" />
    </service>
    <service name="SQLServer" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="1433" />
      <parameter key="banner" value="*" />
    </service>
    <service name="Oracle" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="1521" />
      <parameter key="banner" value="*" />
    </service>
    <service name="Postgres" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="banner" value="*" />
      <parameter key="port" value="5432" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
    </service>
    <service name="SSH" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="banner" value="SSH" />
      <parameter key="port" value="22" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="ssh" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="ssh" />
    </service>
    <service name="DHCP" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="2" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="dhcp" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="dhcp" />
    </service>
    <service name="IMAP" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="port" value="143" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
    </service>
    <service name="POP3" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="1" />
      <parameter key="port" value="110" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="pop3" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="pop3" />
    </service>
    <service name="NSClient" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="2" />
      <parameter key="port" value="1248" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
    </service>
    <service name="NSClientpp" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="2" />
      <parameter key="port" value="12489" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
    </service>
    <service name="NRPE" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="3" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="5666" />
      <parameter key="command" value="_NRPE_CHECK" />
      <parameter key="padding" value="2" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="nrpe" />
    </service>
    <service name="NRPE-NoSSL" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="3" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="5666" />
      <parameter key="command" value="_NRPE_CHECK" />
      <parameter key="usessl" value="false" />
      <parameter key="padding" value="2" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="nrpe" />
    </service>
    <service name="Windows-Task-Scheduler" interval="300000"
user-defined="false" status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="2" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="port" value="161" />
      <parameter key="service-name" value="Task Scheduler" />
    </service>

    <downtime interval="30000" begin="0" end="300000" /><!-- 30s, 0, 5m
-->
    <downtime interval="300000" begin="300000" end="43200000" /><!-- 5m,
5m, 12h -->
    <downtime interval="600000" begin="43200000" end="432000000" /><!--
10m, 12h, 5d -->
    <downtime begin="432000000" delete="true" /><!-- anything after 5
days delete -->

  </package>
  <package name="distributed" remote="true">
    <filter>IPADDR IPLIKE *.*.*.*</filter>
    <include-range begin="1.1.1.1" end="254.254.254.254"/>
    <rrd step = "300">
      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:2016</rra>
      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:4464</rra>
      <rra>RRA:MIN:0.5:12:4464</rra>
      <rra>RRA:MAX:0.5:12:4464</rra>
    </rrd>
    <service name="AVAIL" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="2" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="icmp" />
      <parameter key="ds-name" value="icmp" />
    </service>
    <outage-calendar>zzz from poll-outages.xml zzz</outage-calendar>

    <downtime interval="30000" begin="0" end="300000"/>             <!--
30s, 0, 5m -->
    <downtime interval="300000" begin="300000" end="43200000"/>     <!--
5m, 5m, 12h -->
    <downtime interval="600000" begin="43200000" end="432000000"/>  <!--
10m, 12h, 5d -->
    <downtime begin="432000000" delete="true"/>                     <!--
anything after 5 days delete -->
  </package>

  <!-- Moved StrafePing to its own package.  This allows for more
flexible configuration of which interfaces
    will have StrafePing statistical analysis rather than being on for
or off for all interfaces.  Change
    this package's filter / ranges for directing the StrafePinger to
choice interfaces.  Note: Strafing all
    of your network interface may create high loads on the NMS file
system.  -->

  <package name="strafer">
    <filter>IPADDR != '0.0.0.0'</filter>
    <include-range begin="10.1.1.1" end="10.1.1.10" />
    <rrd step="300">
      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:2016</rra>
      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:1488</rra>
      <rra>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:366</rra>
      <rra>RRA:MAX:0.5:288:366</rra>
      <rra>RRA:MIN:0.5:288:366</rra>
    </rrd>
    <service name="StrafePing" interval="300000" user-defined="false"
status="on">
      <parameter key="retry" value="0" />
      <parameter key="timeout" value="3000" />
      <parameter key="ping-count" value="20" />
      <parameter key="failure-ping-count" value="20" />
      <parameter key="wait-interval" value="50" />
      <parameter key="rrd-repository"
value="/opt/opennms/share/rrd/response" />
      <parameter key="rrd-base-name" value="strafeping" />
    </service>
    <downtime interval="300000" begin="0" end="432000000"/><!-- 5m, 0,
5d -->
    <downtime begin="432000000" delete="true" /><!-- anything after 5
days delete -->
  </package>

  <monitor service="ICMP"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.IcmpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="StrafePing"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.StrafePingMonitor" />
  <monitor service="HTTP"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.HttpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="HTTP-8080"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.HttpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="HTTP-8000"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.HttpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="HTTPS"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.HttpsMonitor" />
  <monitor service="HypericAgent"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.TcpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="HypericHQ"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.PageSequenceMonitor" />
  <monitor service="SMTP"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.SmtpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="DHCP"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.DhcpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="DNS"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.DnsMonitor" />
  <monitor service="FTP"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.FtpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="SNMP"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.SnmpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="Oracle"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.TcpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="Postgres"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.TcpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="MySQL"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.TcpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="SQLServer"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.TcpMonitor" />
  <monitor service="SSH"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.SshMonitor" />
  <monitor service="IMAP"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.ImapMonitor" />
  <monitor service="POP3"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.Pop3Monitor" />
  <monitor service="NSClient"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.NsclientMonitor" />
  <monitor service="NRPE"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.NrpeMonitor" />
  <monitor service="NRPE-NoSSL"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.NrpeMonitor" />
  <monitor service="NSClientpp"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.NsclientMonitor" />
  <monitor service="Windows-Task-Scheduler"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.Win32ServiceMonitor" />
  <monitor service="AVAIL"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.poller.monitors.AvailabilityMonitor" />
</poller-configuration>

Monitoring Locations.xml
  xmlns="http://www.opennms.org/xsd/config/monitoring-locations"

xsi:schemaLocation="http://xmlns.opennms.org/xsd/config/monitoring-locations

http://www.opennms.org/xsd/config/monitoring-locations.xsd ">
  <locations>
    <location-def location-name="nmsfrank" monitoring-area="frankfort"
polling-package-name="distributed"/>
  </locations>
</monitoring-locations-configuration>

And capd configuration
    <protocol-plugin protocol="AVAIL"
class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.capsd.plugins.IcmpPlugin" scan="on"
user-defined="false">
        <property key="timeout" value="2000" />
        <property key="retry" value="1" />
    </protocol-plugin>
</capsd-configuration>

Anything missing.

I could really use the help with this. I'm out of options and trials
now.

Sincerely,
Matt Losee

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 18:15 -0400, Jeff Gehlbach wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Matt Losee wrote:
>
> > I get to the downloading application and then it exits out.
>
> If you launch the web start cache viewer by running "javaws -viewer",
> do you see "OpenNMS Remote Poller (GUI)" in the list of applications
> in your cache?
>
> -jeff

12