No Admin UI, and no magic-users.properties to fix it

No Admin UI, and no magic-users.properties to fix it

nhaffen
My boss upgraded our OpenNMS, but we've been having problems since then. First, we were getting tons of failed logins for the rtc account. It appears our rtc user vanished. I had to put in a new entry for rtc in the users.xml file, then it stopped complaining about that, and everything appears to work on the user side. But on the standard admin account, it lets me log in just fine, but I don't see the regular Admin tab. It's the standard admin account that was created when we installed OpenNMS, and we never moved or renamed it. Only changed the password. If I try to manually go to http://ournmsserver.com:8980/opennms/admin while logged in as admin, it says Permission Denied. With versions prior to 19, we would just set admins in magic-users.properties. Now that that stuff has been moved to the database, and I have no way to modify the database through the usual admin web UI, I am stuck. Is there a way to manually modify the database for this? Or anything else I can do go get this thing going again? It's working for monitoring the nodes and services that are already there, but I can't add, remove, or modify nodes, services, or users. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Re: No Admin UI, and no magic-users.properties to fix it

Seth Leger-2
Hi nhaffen,

Try and compare your users.xml file with the copy at
/opt/opennms/share/etc-pristine/users.xml. You may need to manually add
the admin role to your admin user to fix things up.

I think what you've encountered is that an upgrade script that was
designed to migrate the settings in magic-users.properties into
users.xml failed to run, possibly because you had OpenNMS running when
you performed the upgrade to OpenNMS 19. You'll now need to manually fix
the users.xml file, or shut down OpenNMS and re-run the
'/opt/opennms/install -dis' command which should re-run the upgrade
script and perform the migration.

In either case, I would check the file versus the etc-pristine copy and
see if there are any obvious differences that would explain why your
users/roles are misconfigured.

Seth Leger
The OpenNMS Group