NRPE Monitor pass arguments to command

Andries, Robin (FANUC Luxembourg)

Hello all,

Is there a possibility to pass arguments to the NRPE monitor (like check_nrpe –c command -a  arguments)?

In the documentation, there is no option mentioned for this.

Best regards,

Robin

Re: NRPE Monitor pass arguments to command

Reinhard Kuss
Hi Andries,

same use-case here. Tried a year or so ago, did not succeed. I am calling some vbs-scripts on a windows-host (nsclient there).
Solved by defining every possible argument as a service (NRPE-command) for its own. Works for limited number of arguments (and my special use-case).

Passing arguments in NRPE is a feature I rate #1 on my wish-list for ONMS. This would wide open the door to an almost unimaginable ammount of monitoring possibilities not catched by the existing monitors, at least in my industrial environment.

Just my 2 euro-cent...

Ref.:
https://www.nsclient.org/

Am 19.05.2017 um 17:39 schrieb Andries, Robin (FANUC Luxembourg):
 Is there a possibility to pass arguments to the NRPE monitor (like check_nrpe –c command -a  arguments)?

In the documentation, there is no option mentioned for this.

Regards
Reinhard

--
Reinhard Kuss, office <at> edv-profi24 <dot> at

Re: NRPE Monitor pass arguments to command

Dino Yancey
If I had to guess, the primary reason this isn't and wouldn't be
implemented is this warning from the nrpe security doc
(https://sourceforge.net/p/nagios/nrpe/ci/master/tree/SECURITY) with
regard to command substitution:

"This is explicity disabled by
default, but can be enabled by a configure-time option and a
configuration file option. Enabling this option is VERY RISKY and
its use is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED."

For what it's worth, I have yet to find anything I've monitored via
NRPE in OpenNMS that I couldn't do better with some other integrated
feature.  But that's just me, YMMV.

Dino