Monitoring non-SNMP sensors

David Robison

I have a number of sensors, including cameras, that are IP based but which do not support any of the protocols currently supported by OpenNMS for collecting and monitoring data, such as internal temperature, or receiving alarms, such as video lost. I am interested in writing an extension to OpenNMS to add their proprietary protocol for pulling and monitoring these devices. I noticed that OpeNMS now has a Plugin Manager but I cannot find any documentation on how to use this. What would be the best approach for integrating these devices in OpenNMS? Thanks, David

David R Robison

Senior Systems Engineer

O. +1 512 247 3700

M. +1 757 286 0022

[hidden email]

www.psgglobal.net

cid:image003.png@01D19182.F24CA3E0

Prometheus Security Group Global, Inc.

3019 Alvin Devane Boulevard

Building 4, Suite 450

Austin, TX 78741

cid:image003.png@01D19182.F24CA3E0

Re: Monitoring non-SNMP sensors

Seth Leger-2
Hi David,

There are several ways to get data into OpenNMS, depending on what type
of data you want:

- If you want to monitor something for up/down status and you can use
any sort of network operation to determine this status, then you want to
use a Poller monitor:

http://docs.opennms.org/opennms/branches/develop/guide-admin/guide-admin.html#ga-service-monitors

If you cannot configure one of the out-of-the-box monitors to do what
you want, new monitors can be written in Java or in a Java-based
scripting language (ie. Groovy).

- If you want to track the state of a service that cannot be directly
monitored over a network by OpenNMS, you can use the Passive Status
Keeper. It accepts events and tracks the state of "passive" nodes based
on those events.

http://wiki.opennms.org/wiki/Passive_Status_Keeper

- We support syslog, SNMP trap, and OpenNMS XML events as types of
"push" notifications that are sent to OpenNMS over TCP/UDP or REST. If
you have a different "push"-based event protocol that you want to
support, then you can write a translation layer either as a separate
process or as code within OpenNMS to support the protocol. Handling this
inside OpenNMS is a medium-level development effort in Java in the
current OpenNMS code.

- For collection of numeric or string metrics off of the devices, we
have an array of data collection protocols that we support
out-of-the-box: SNMP, JMX, WMI, HTTP, XML, NSclient, WS-Management. If
your devices do not support any of these protocols, you can (similarly
to events) write a translator process or extend the OpenNMS Java code to
support the protocol.

Chances are, there is a way to accomplish what you want without having
to develop a completely custom event or data collector. What sort of
proprietary protocol do these cameras and sensors use?

Seth Leger
The OpenNMS Group