Quantcast

Monitoring a Website with Changing IP address

Monitoring a Website with Changing IP address

salmanearn
Dear All,

I have a scenario to monitor a website on the internet. It would not be hard if it has fixed public IP address which i would add as a node to monitor for https service and others.

However my webpage will be using Amazon CloudFront . Amazon CloudFront is a global content delivery network (CDN) service that accelerates delivery of your websites, APIs, video content or other web assets.

So Public IP address will be changing. I believe in opennms we can not provision any node without a IP address. Is it possible opennms can resolve the DNS againts the webpage i want monitor. And provide me feedback.

Thanks

Re: Monitoring a Website with Changing IP address

Ronny Trommer-3
Hi,

this is possible, I use the Page Sequence Monitor[1] for this purpose. The hint in the documentation

> If you set requireIPv4 and requireIPv6 false, the host IP for connection will be resolved from system name resolver and the associated IP address from the IP interface is ignored.

is important. You create a node with the node label “www.opennms.com”. You have to create any IP interface and assign just the Page Sequence Monitor Service [2] on it and use the node label as host name.

Hope this helps

On 7. Apr 2017, at 09:22, salmanearn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear All,

I have a scenario to monitor a website on the internet. It would not be hard
if it has fixed public IP address which i would add as a node to monitor for
https service and others.

However my webpage will be using Amazon CloudFront . Amazon CloudFront is a
global content delivery network (CDN) service that accelerates delivery of
your websites, APIs, video content or other web assets.

So Public IP address will be changing. I believe in opennms we can not
provision any node without a IP address. Is it possible opennms can resolve
the DNS againts the webpage i want monitor. And provide me feedback.

Thanks

Re: Monitoring a Website with Changing IP address

salmanearn
Thanks for advice, will update the results :)