Minion and SNMP Community

mhatzis
Hi,

Im running 19.1.0 server and minion.  i am having a very had time getting snmp to work. the minion reports ping and ssh service however after a while the snmp service turns red and i never receive any data from the remote cisco device.

i have added the location string to the snap-config.xml but still no go.

i cannot do a snap:walk from the server or an icmp request.  not sure what I'm doing wrong..

the minion resides behind a fw using NAT, minion:ping works fine.

does the minion store a local copy of the information it is receiving that can be checked. are there any other settings that i need to change

i should mention that the hosts(nodes) where setup before the minion went in and i manually added the location string to each. the other thing we did was create the the minion vm in the office and then moved it to the site and gave it a new IP address and reboot.

Mike

Re: Minion and SNMP Community

mhatzis
anyone?

Re: Minion and SNMP Community

BeeJay
Does snmpwalk from the command line work?

- something like:

snmpwalk -v2c -c public 10.1.2.3 system

John Blackburn

Re: Minion and SNMP Community

mhatzis
Hi John

SNMP walk works locally but not when I try using the location string.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 22 May 2017, at 3:38 am, JohnD Blackburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does snmpwalk from the command line work?
>
> - something like:
>
> snmpwalk -v2c -c public 10.1.2.3 system
>

> John Blackburn

I take it your opennms server is able to query nodes directly, but when you try and get the minion to perform the query it is failing?

If that's the case, then sorry, I'm not using minions, so beyond making sure snmpwalk is working from the server trying to do the snmp query, I'm out of ideas.

Hopefully someone else on this list has experience using minions.

John Blackburn

SNMP walk works locally but not when I try using the location string.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 22 May 2017, at 3:38 am, JohnD Blackburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does snmpwalk from the command line work?
>
> - something like:
>
> snmpwalk -v2c -c public 10.1.2.3 system
>

> John Blackburn

Marc Doesburg
Hi,

I've played with Minions a bit.

Check to see if the SNMP Community string is still in OpenNMS. For some reason our OpenNMS looses the community strings once in a while. (Configure OpenNMS -> Configure SNMP Community Names). Type in the IP address of the machine behind the Minion and don't forget to enter the Location name of the Minion location. IP ranges could overlap, that's why you need to use the location parameter.

Also you don't use snmpwalk to query a system behind a Minion. snmpwalk only query's systems that are reachable via direct/routed IP. You need to login to the Karaf CLI and run something like: snmp:walk -l MyLocation IpAddressInMyLocation.   That will snmpwalk though the Minion tunnel to the system.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

--
Marc D.

Real is just a matter of perception

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:26 AM, JohnD Blackburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I take it your opennms server is able to query nodes directly, but when you try and get the minion to perform the query it is failing?

If that's the case, then sorry, I'm not using minions, so beyond making sure snmpwalk is working from the server trying to do the snmp query, I'm out of ideas.

Hopefully someone else on this list has experience using minions.

John Blackburn

SNMP walk works locally but not when I try using the location string.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 22 May 2017, at 3:38 am, JohnD Blackburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does snmpwalk from the command line work?
>
> - something like:
>
> snmpwalk -v2c -c public 10.1.2.3 system
>

> John Blackburn

Re: [opennms-discuss] Minion and SNMP Community Hi Marc,

Yes the SNMP community name shows up correctly. However I get a connection timeout error when I try and do an snmp:walk from the minion via Karaf.   I think my issue is something to do with the ActiveMQ and communication with the minion