Load Average Monitoirng

Byron Anderson

We use net-snmp to monitor all of our *NIX systems and one of the collections that we have on those systems is Load Average.  I would like to be able to do some thresholding against this but the point at which the threshold should be set is relative to the number of CPU’s in the system.

I know that the new version of OpenNMS has the expression based thresholds.  Is there a way to use SNMP to determine the number of CPU’s and pass that as a variable to the expression based threshold so that it will scale based on the number of CPU’s?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Byron Anderson

Network Operations Center Manager

EasyStreet Online Services

www.easystreet.com

Re: Load Average Monitoirng

Jeff Gehlbach
On Sep 9, 2008, at 4:40 PM, Byron Anderson wrote:

> I know that the new version of OpenNMS has the expression based
> thresholds.  Is there a way to use SNMP to determine the number of
> CPU’s and pass that as a variable to the expression based threshold
> so that it will scale based on the number of CPU’s?

There is not an object in the Net-SNMP, UCD-SNMP, or HOST-RESOURCES
MIBs that I'm aware of that tells you how many cores the kernel sees.
You could write a MIB extension script, though, that does something
like:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'cpu family' | wc -l

Then you can collect the value of that custom MIB object and use it in
an expression-based threshold.

-jeff