How to start OpenNMS in debug mode

alyaarrayyan
I was successfully imported opennms 1.10.4 as Maven Project to Eclipse on Windows platform using http://opennms.org/wiki/Eclipse_and_OpenNMS.

Can anyone guide me how
1) to run opennms project on jetty application server in eclipse
2) to debug opennms project in eclipse

Thanks in advance.
Alya

Re: How to start OpenNMS in debug mode

Markus Neumann

Am Mi 01 Aug 2012 05:31:08 CEST schrieb alyaarrayyan:

> I was successfully imported opennms 1.10.4 as Maven Project to Eclipse on
> Windows platform using http://opennms.org/wiki/Eclipse_and_OpenNMS.
>
> Can anyone guide me how
> 1) to run opennms project on jetty application server in eclipse
> 2) to debug opennms project in eclipse
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Alya

Hello world,

build your OpenNMS.
Deploy it.
Start it with something like .../opt/opennms/bin/opennms -t start
the -t parameter is the key to open an debugging port at 8001 or 8002
then connect your eclipse debugger to localhost:8001 / 8002
that is one setup
if you are just working on the webapp part you can use the runInPlace
script to start the webapp only.
The runInPlace script supports -t for debugging port too.

Regards

Markus

Re: How to start OpenNMS in debug mode

Markus Neumann-2

Am 01.08.2012 05:31, schrieb alyaarrayyan:

> I was successfully imported opennms 1.10.4 as Maven Project to
> Eclipse on Windows platform using
> http://opennms.org/wiki/Eclipse_and_OpenNMS.
>
> Can anyone guide me how 1) to run opennms project on jetty
> application server in eclipse 2) to debug opennms project in
> eclipse
>
> Thanks in advance. Alya

> http://opennms.530661.n2.nabble.com/How-to-start-OpenNMS-in-debug-mode-tp7580603.html

Sent from the OpenNMS - devel mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Live Security Virtual Conference

> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
> Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the
> latest in malware threats.
> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

Hello world,

build your OpenNMS.
Deploy it.
Start it with something like .../opt/opennms/bin/opennms -t start
the -t parameter is the key to open an debugging port at 8001 or 8002
then connect your eclipse debugger to localhost:8001 / 8002
that is one setup
if you are just working on the webapp part you can use the runInPlace
script to start the webapp only.
The runInPlace script supports -t for debugging port too.

Regards

Markus

Re: How to start OpenNMS in debug mode

Roskens, Ronald-2
Alya,

I don't know if a guide exists for #1.  There is a unix shell script opennms-webapp/runInPlace.sh that can be used to startup a local jetty instance. You could probably use that as a starting point for getting a jetty server running inside eclipse. I can't offer more help inside eclipse as I've never setup a jetty server inside eclipse. As you figure out how to get an in-eclipse jetty server setup, create a wiki page on opennms.org for it to help future developers.

I suspect you will probably need to install perl on your system, and the only windows native version I know of is the ActivePerl build.

For #2, that's a pretty open ended question, that I would turn around and ask you how you debug any project in eclipse. I'd suspect you start at the "Problems" view and work your way around from there?

Ron

1) to run opennms project on jetty application server in eclipse
2) to debug opennms project in eclipse

Thanks in advance.
Alya

Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

This e-mail message is being sent solely for use by the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by phone or reply by e-mail, delete the original message and destroy all copies. Thank you.

Re: How to start OpenNMS in debug mode

Cyrille Bollu
>Deploy it.

Well, that's the whole point here: On windows, once you have executed compile.pl and assemble.pl, you're on your own; There's nothing on the wiki for the next steps.

According to the wiki (http://www.opennms.org/wiki/Installation:Source#Running_OpenNMS), the next steps consist of (1) installing the database, and (2) running opennms.

Those steps use the install, runjava, and opennms scripts which are all UNIX scripts. And, I can't find how these steps have to be handled on Windows...

Cyrille

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Markus Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am Mi 01 Aug 2012 05:31:08 CEST schrieb alyaarrayyan:
> I was successfully imported opennms 1.10.4 as Maven Project to Eclipse on
> Windows platform using http://opennms.org/wiki/Eclipse_and_OpenNMS.
>
> Can anyone guide me how
> 1) to run opennms project on jetty application server in eclipse
> 2) to debug opennms project in eclipse
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Alya

Hello world,

build your OpenNMS.
Deploy it.
Start it with something like .../opt/opennms/bin/opennms -t start
the -t parameter is the key to open an debugging port at 8001 or 8002
then connect your eclipse debugger to localhost:8001 / 8002
that is one setup
if you are just working on the webapp part you can use the runInPlace
script to start the webapp only.
The runInPlace script supports -t for debugging port too.

Regards

Markus

Re: How to start OpenNMS in debug mode

Matt Raykowski-2
You just have to read exceptionally carefully.

If you're building OpenNMS and deploying it with the expectation of doing so in a development capacity then you will likely be deploying it via the target created when you assemble. If you're doing this on Windows the steps are essentially the same for "deploying."

As a Windows developer I always install OpenNMS using the standard installer and then I compile and assemble OpenNMS with an alternate distribution directory. Basically just force it to use a specific path. In Windows this will be the path you installed OpenNMS to. In Linux I tend to keep my development separate from the system (where as the system installs into /usr/share or whatever and I put development into /opt/opennms)

This is covered in the installation from source wiki article:
./assemble.pl -Ddist.dir=$PWD -Ddist.name=dist -Dbuild.profile=dir

Change $PWD for your installation path.

The a little later in the document it walks you through extracting this and making it usable. It's basically the same - take the opennms tarball produced by the assemble process and unpack it on top of your OpenNMS installation. If you installed on Windows you don't need to worry about runjava or install since they've already been run for you through the installer. This is true if you're overwriting an existing installation on Unix as well.

Assuming you've already installed OpenNMS once and are simply overwriting the code the only time you need to run install is if you need to update the database schema for some reason. Most people aren't making those kinds of changes so the steps I described are sufficient.

I know that there's some deficiencies for Windows installations and for Windows-based developers. The best thing to do is to open up tickets regarding the 'sore points' for you so that when someone at The OpenNMS Group or one of us in the community work on Windows-related stuff we have some expectation of what real users want rather than just what is convenient for us. The latter will likely be very different than the former and probably a lot less substantial since we'll only scratch our own itch.

I hope this helps you guys out...

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Cyrille Bollu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Deploy it.

Well, that's the whole point here: On windows, once you have executed compile.pl and assemble.pl, you're on your own; There's nothing on the wiki for the next steps.

According to the wiki (http://www.opennms.org/wiki/Installation:Source#Running_OpenNMS), the next steps consist of (1) installing the database, and (2) running opennms.

Those steps use the install, runjava, and opennms scripts which are all UNIX scripts. And, I can't find how these steps have to be handled on Windows...

Cyrille

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Markus Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am Mi 01 Aug 2012 05:31:08 CEST schrieb alyaarrayyan:
> I was successfully imported opennms 1.10.4 as Maven Project to Eclipse on
> Windows platform using http://opennms.org/wiki/Eclipse_and_OpenNMS.
>
> Can anyone guide me how
> 1) to run opennms project on jetty application server in eclipse
> 2) to debug opennms project in eclipse
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Alya

Hello world,

build your OpenNMS.
Deploy it.
Start it with something like .../opt/opennms/bin/opennms -t start
the -t parameter is the key to open an debugging port at 8001 or 8002
then connect your eclipse debugger to localhost:8001 / 8002
that is one setup
if you are just working on the webapp part you can use the runInPlace
script to start the webapp only.
The runInPlace script supports -t for debugging port too.

Regards

Markus

Matt Raykowski
/s

Re: How to start OpenNMS in debug mode

tuvd
Dear Markus Neumann

I deployed OpenNMS on Window and ran it normally. But when I ran opennms with -t parameter as your guide to turn on debug mode, I got the error as below:

java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
        at org.opennms.bootstrap.Bootstrap$3.run(Bootstrap.java:346)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "start"
        at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.
java:48)
        at org.opennms.netmgt.vmmgr.Controller.main(Controller.java:136)
        ... 6 more

Please help me to find the solution for this problem.

Thank you so much!

Re: How to start OpenNMS in debug mode

David Hustace

On Apr 21, 2013, at 6:35 AM, tuvd <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Markus Neumann

I deployed OpenNMS on Window and ran it normally. But when I ran opennms
with -t parameter as your guide to turn on debug mode, I got the error as
below:

/java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
       at
java:39)
       at
sorImpl.java:25)
       at org.opennms.bootstrap.Bootstrap$3.run(Bootstrap.java:346)
       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "start"
       at
java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.
java:48)
       at org.opennms.netmgt.vmmgr.Controller.main(Controller.java:136)
       ... 6 more/

Please help me to find the solution for this problem.

Please post your exact command line you used to generate this message:

David Hustace
President, COO
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.

Re: How to start OpenNMS in debug mode

Seth Leger
I think you need to put the -t option before the "start" command:

service opennms -t start

If you put it at the end, you will get that exception.

-- Seth

On 4/21/13 6:35 AM, tuvd wrote:

> Dear Markus Neumann
>
> I deployed OpenNMS on Window and ran it normally. But when I ran opennms
> with -t parameter as your guide to turn on debug mode, I got the error as
> below:
>
> /java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>         at
> java:39)
>         at
> sorImpl.java:25)
>         at org.opennms.bootstrap.Bootstrap$3.run(Bootstrap.java:346)
> Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "start"
>         at
> java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.
> java:48)
>         at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:449)
>         at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:499)
>         at org.opennms.netmgt.vmmgr.Controller.main(Controller.java:136)
>         ... 6 more/
>
> Please help me to find the solution for this problem.
>
> Thank you so much!

Re: How to start OpenNMS in debug mode

Benjamin Reed
The OpenNMS startup script on Windows is not as robust as the shell
version on *NIX systems.  "-t" won't work with it, you'll have to do it
manually.

Try adding the following to the opennms command and see if it works:

-Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=none
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,address=8001,suspend=n

On 5/17/13 10:42 AM, David S Hustace wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2013, at 6:35 AM, tuvd <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Dear Markus Neumann
>>
>> I deployed OpenNMS on Window and ran it normally. But when I ran opennms
>> with -t parameter as your guide to turn on debug mode, I got the error as
>> below:
>>
>> /java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>>        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>>        at
>> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.
>> java:39)
>>        at
>> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
>> sorImpl.java:25)
>>        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
>>        at org.opennms.bootstrap.Bootstrap$3.run(Bootstrap.java:346)
>>        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
>> Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "start"
>>        at
>> java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.
>> java:48)
>>        at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:449)
>>        at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:499)
>>        at org.opennms.netmgt.vmmgr.Controller.main(Controller.java:136)
>>        ... 6 more/
>>
>> Please help me to find the solution for this problem.
>
> Please post your exact command line you used to generate this message:
>
> /David Hustace/
> /President, COO/
> /The OpenNMS Group, Inc./

> AlienVault Unified Security Management (USM) platform delivers complete
> security visibility with the essential security capabilities. Easily and
> efficiently configure, manage, and operate all of your security controls
> from a single console and one unified framework. Download a free trial.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/alienvault_d2d

Benjamin Reed
The OpenNMS Group
http://www.opennms.org/