How to monitor individual CPU usage of Windows Workstation

How to monitor individual CPU usage of Windows Workstation

Sperber, Jonathan (*IC)

I’m trying to migrate from OpenNMS v 1.10.8 to v 19.0.1.  I have installed 19.0.1 on a new virtual machine. Our v 1.10.8 was installed and customized by a vendor. One feature it has that I would like to have in v 19.0.1 is it shows the individual CPU/Cores under Graphs for a Node. I believe the following code in Microsoft.xml in /opt/opennms/etc/datacollection allows this to happen:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<datacollection-group name="Microsoft">

      <resourceType name="cpuPercentBusyIndex" label="CPU Percent Busy" resourceLabel="CPU Percent Busy">

        <persistenceSelectorStrategy class="org.opennms.netmgt.collectd.PersistAllSelectorStrategy"/>

        <storageStrategy class="org.opennms.netmgt.dao.support.IndexStorageStrategy"/>

      </resourceType>

      <group name="windows-host-index" ifType="all">

        <mibObj oid=".1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2" instance="cpuPercentBusyIndex" alias="cpuPercentBusy" type="integer"/>

      </group>

I have tried implementing this in v 19.0.1 but have been unsuccessful. I am able to create the resource type and it displays an instance of “CPU Percent Busy” for each CPU Core on my node graph but I haven’t been able to figure out how to make it actually collect the data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: How to monitor individual CPU usage of Windows Workstation

David Poole
1)  Do you have SNMP Service for Windows installed and configured on each one of your Windows servers?
2)  Is the Security tab on the SNMP Service Properties dialog limit the SNMP server that can query it or can any server query SNMP to your Windows servers?  See the Accept SNMP packets from these hosts section to determine which hosts can communicate SNMP information with your Windows servers.
3)  Do you have SNMP Informant Standard installed?

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:26 PM Sperber, Jonathan (*IC) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I solved the problem by enabling WMI.

Re: How to monitor individual CPU usage of Windows Workstation

David Poole
That's one way to do it - however my experience with WMI has been that for some reason, OpenNMS will fail to poll WMI correctly 100% of the time and I get gaps in my graphs because of it.

I haven't tried WMI since version 17 and I am on 19 now.

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 5:49 PM Sperber, Jonathan (*IC) <[hidden email]> wrote:

I solved the problem by enabling WMI.

Re: How to monitor individual CPU usage of Windows Workstation

Sperber, Jonathan (*IC)

I’ll install SNMP Informant Standard on one of my systems to try it out.

Re: How to monitor individual CPU usage of Windows Workstation

Sperber, Jonathan (*IC)

After I install SNMP Informant on a client do I need to change anything in OpenNMS?

Re: How to monitor individual CPU usage of Windows Workstation

David Poole
From what I understand about Windows is that it doesn't seem to lock down the SNMP information on CPUs.  So, if you didn't use SNMP Informant, you could SNMP monitor the CPU's of a Windows server for awhile.  Until you reboot the server.  Then you lose the ability to monitor the CPUs because their ID's have changed.

When you use SNMP Informant Standard (free edition), it locks down the ID's of the CPUs so they can consistently monitored.

With WMI, I was never able to get consistent data from a Windows server, it always had gaps in a lot of the charts.  So I gave up on WMI and used SNMP/SNMP Informant.

However, if you can get consistent WMI information from a Windows server, then I would say to go that route.