How to make seperate interfaces shown as different node to an one node

How to make seperate interfaces shown as different node to an one node

indon.bae
When our OpenNMS discovers our network nodes, some of interfaces are shown as an independent node in OpenNMS 'Node List', even though the interface belongs to other node.

For example, a node (wan-router-3 -> Cisco router) has 3 interfaces - 10.186.30.2 (Serial), 10.186.128.3 (Loopback) and 10.186.130.254 (Ethernet).
Currently, in our OpenNMS node list, interface 10.186.130.254 is listed under node name '10.186.130.254' and remaining two interfaces 10.186.30.2 and 10.186.128.3 are listed under node name '10.186.30.2'. All three interfaces should be discovered under a node name "wan-router-3".

How can I make OpenNMS to recognize all three interfaces under a node name 'wan-router-1'?
Currently I have two WAN routers, 'wan-router-1' and 'wan-router-2' with same issue.
(In other words, instead of two WAN routers OpenNMS shows total of 4 nodes.)

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I am using OpenNMS v1.3.7 under Fedora Core 6.

--
In Don Bae

Re: How to make seperate interfaces shown as different node to an one node

Jeff Gehlbach
On Aug 30, 2008, at 12:02 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> When our OpenNMS discovers our network nodes, some of interfaces are
> shown as an independent node in OpenNMS 'Node List', even though the
> interface belongs to other node.
>
> For example, a node (wan-router-3 -> Cisco router) has 3 interfaces
> - 10.186.30.2 (Serial), 10.186.128.3 (Loopback) and 10.186.130.254
> (Ethernet).
> Currently, in our OpenNMS node list, interface 10.186.130.254 is
> listed under node name '10.186.130.254' and remaining two interfaces
> 10.186.30.2 and 10.186.128.3 are listed under node name
> '10.186.30.2'. All three interfaces should be discovered under a
> node name "wan-router-3".
>
> How can I make OpenNMS to recognize all three interfaces under a
> node name 'wan-router-1'?
> Currently I have two WAN routers, 'wan-router-1' and 'wan-router-2'
> with same issue.
> (In other words, instead of two WAN routers OpenNMS shows total of 4
> nodes.)

Get SNMP working properly on these routers, and openNMS will
automatically reparent each router's interfaces under a single node.

-jeff

Re: How to make seperate interfaces shown as different node to an one node

indon.bae
I double checked and compared with other router SNMP configuration.
SNMP configuration of these routers are same as other router.

One thing I noticed from OpenNMS is that even if I asked to rescan these two routers, OpenNMS message does show it did.
Becasue I do not get "A services scan has been completed on this node." event message.

The other thing I also noticed is that the routers that are working properly shows both 'Router' and 'SNMP' services on all interfaces from NodeList->Availability window in addition to ICMP, SSH and StrafePing.
However, when I checked node name '10.186,30.2', 'Router' and 'SNMP' services are available only on interface 10.186.128.3 not on 10.186.30.2 interface.  Same is true for node named '10.186.130.254'.
Therefore, I can only force 'update SNMP' on node '10.186.30.2' bot not on '10.186.130.254' because 'update SNMP' option is not available for this node.

In Don Bae