How can I add attributes to the asset tracking system

How can I add attributes to the asset tracking system

Filippi, Geoff
I've been using OpenNMS for about a month. I'm really impressed so far. I
want to use it to track the assets in my lab. However I need some attributes
that are not available.

For example:
Server height (server is 3 rack units tall, etc.)
Power requirements

What is the best way to do this? I am willing to write code if necessary,
but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks,

--------------------------------------
Geoff Filippi
Senior Engineer, Voice and IP Services
Time Warner Cable

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner
Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential,
or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this
E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents
of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any
copy of this E-mail and any printout.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: How can I add attributes to the asset tracking system

Jeff Gehlbach
On Sep 3, 2008, at 12:39 PM, Filippi, Geoff wrote:

> I've been using OpenNMS for about a month. I'm really impressed so
> far.

Great, welcome to the community and thanks for the positive feedback :)

> I want to use it to track the assets in my lab. However I need some
> attributes
> that are not available.
>
> For example:
> Server height (server is 3 rack units tall, etc.)
> Power requirements
>
> What is the best way to do this? I am willing to write code if
> necessary,
> but I'm not sure where to start.

Trying to add a new asset datum to the system as it stands today is
quite painful.  You'd need to add columns to the "assets" table in the
database and write code to mangle those columns and represent them in
the web UI.  OVerall, this approach is generally a bad idea, since it
implies that you will need to maintain your changes to the DB schema
every time you upgrade.

The assets subsystem in openNMS is due for a major rewrite to make it
extensible without writing new code, and just to improve the model.
We've got at least one guy in the community who's been working on the
beginnings of a new model in his spare time.  If you wanted to think
about taking on that project, we'd love to have your help.
Alternatively, if you're able to fund a custom development project to
get this work done, that would be cool as well.

One final option to consider is attacking the problem via an
integration.  We've been working for a while on a configuration
management integration API, and at least one popular CMS vendor is
working on an implementation.

-jeff

Re: How can I add attributes to the asset tracking system

Les Mikesell
Jeff Gehlbach wrote:

> The assets subsystem in openNMS is due for a major rewrite to make it
> extensible without writing new code, and just to improve the model.
> We've got at least one guy in the community who's been working on the
> beginnings of a new model in his spare time.  If you wanted to think
> about taking on that project, we'd love to have your help.
> Alternatively, if you're able to fund a custom development project to
> get this work done, that would be cool as well.
>
> One final option to consider is attacking the problem via an
> integration.  We've been working for a while on a configuration
> management integration API, and at least one popular CMS vendor is
> working on an implementation.

Has anyone looked at oscinventory-ng
(http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/index.php?page=English)?  It includes a
  remote agent for windows and unix systems that updates the hardware
and software inventory on a scheduled basis and can also run commands
and deploy packages.  It would need a bit of work to turn it into a
complete configuration management system but it's not too far off and it
is GPL code.

--
   Les Mikesell

Jeff Gehlbach wrote:

> One final option to consider is attacking the problem via an
> integration.  We've been working for a while on a configuration
> management integration API, and at least one popular CMS vendor is
> working on an implementation.

Getting far off topic here, but in the quest to monitor and control
everything, has anyone used 'winexe' to run windows command lines from a
central Linux/unix server?  (http://eol.ovh.org/winexe/)

Among other things, I'm looking for a way to pull the NIC duplex and
buffer setting from a bunch of windows boxes.

--
   Les Mikesell

Re: How can I add attributes to the asset tracking system

Stephen Fromm
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 14:31 -0400, Jeff Gehlbach wrote:

> One final option to consider is attacking the problem via an
> integration.  We've been working for a while on a configuration
> management integration API, and at least one popular CMS vendor is
> working on an implementation.

Can you elaborate on the API or which CMS vendor is working on an
implementation?  I've been working on using puppet to manage portions of
the configuration and am very interested how to better integrate with
and manage OpenNMS.

Thanks,
sf

On Sep 4, 2008, at 7:56 PM, Stephen Fromm wrote:

> Can you elaborate on the API or which CMS vendor is working on an
> implementation?

Not definitively as I haven't worked on it or seen any of the work
done so far, but the API will be very generic and simple to
implement.  AlterPoint engineers have been working on the ZipTie side
of an implementation, but I don't know how far along that effort is.
We've also talked about doing a RANCID integration.

> I've been working on using puppet to manage portions of
> the configuration and am very interested how to better integrate with
> and manage OpenNMS.

There are lots of ways to integrate; I've never used Puppet but I'm
sure others here have and can offer ideas.

-jeff