Exchange 2007

Kevin Roberts

How do I monitor exchange 2007 performance?
Does open OpenNMS have the mibs imported for 2007?
I have it monitoring Exchange Services, but would like performance.

Thanks Kevin

Re: Exchange 2007

Jeff Gehlbach
On Sep 11, 2008, at 8:19 PM, Kevin Roberts wrote:

> How do I monitor exchange 2007 performance?

One way to measure user-level performance is to use the
MailTransportMonitor (http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Mail_Transport_Monitor
).  This works with any messaging system that speaks SMTP and POP3/
IMAP.  It does not support MAPI as a transport, though, as MAPI is a
largely undocumented Microsoft proprietary protocol.

> Does open OpenNMS have the mibs imported for 2007?

Your question implies that Microsoft MIBs exist and could be
imported.  I'm not sure that this is the case; can you clarify your
meaning?  I'm aware only of third-party commercially-licensed agents
(such as the one from SNMP-Informant) that specifically manage
Exchange via SNMP.

-jeff

Re: Exchange 2007

Kevin Roberts
I found this http://www.wtcs.org/informant/mibs.htm
Kevin

On Sep 11, 2008, at 8:19 PM, Kevin Roberts wrote:

> How do I monitor exchange 2007 performance?

One way to measure user-level performance is to use the
MailTransportMonitor (http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Mail_Transport_Monitor
).  This works with any messaging system that speaks SMTP and POP3/
IMAP.  It does not support MAPI as a transport, though, as MAPI is a
largely undocumented Microsoft proprietary protocol.

> Does open OpenNMS have the mibs imported for 2007?

Your question implies that Microsoft MIBs exist and could be
imported.  I'm not sure that this is the case; can you clarify your
meaning?  I'm aware only of third-party commercially-licensed agents
(such as the one from SNMP-Informant) that specifically manage
Exchange via SNMP.

-jeff

Re: Exchange 2007

Duncan Hill
> I found this http://www.wtcs.org/informant/mibs.htm
> Kevin

That's for SNMP Informant, a third-party tool that has an associate cost.
It is not part of the default Microsoft SNMP stack, nor Exchange.

Re: Exchange 2007

Jeff Gehlbach
On Sep 12, 2008, at 11:14 AM, Kevin Roberts wrote:

> I found this http://www.wtcs.org/informant/mibs.htm

Yep, that's the commercially-licensed agent that I was talking about.
The Exchange 2007 version has been available only since April of 2008,
and nobody has added data collection definitions for it to openNMS
yet.  It's a huge MIB, with almost 1900 objects defined, so a fairly
detailed study would be needed, with assistance from somebody who's
savvy with respect to Exchange 2007.

> Kevin

-jeff

Jeff Gehlbach               mailto|sip:[hidden email]
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.     ph: +1 919.533.0160 x7754