Can WMI get duplex settings?

Les Mikesell
With the new WMI capability, is it possible to pick up the duplex
setting on Windows interfaces and configure an alarm/notification for
anything that is up but not in full duplex?

--
   Les Mikesell

Matt Raykowski wrote:
> There's a short answer and a long answer. The short answer is no. The
> long answer is yes, with some gotchas. First I'll have to code in
> namespace support which, until date, I didn't think mattered. Then
> whether or not you can get duplex depends on the network card you have.
> Intel drivers have a special WMI namespace all of their own which
> contains duplex and speed. Duplex and speed are not available on
> Win32_NetworkAdapter or Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration - this is
> entirely manufacturer dependent.

I'd really, really, like to be able to get both the duplex setting and
the tx/rx buffer setting - even if just on intel cards.  For some reason
the settings we need change when we aren't looking - maybe updates
affect them or something.

The buffer settings are somewhat specialized but I've always been
surprised that network management tools in general didn't provide an
easy way to check duplex settings.  It is a frequent source of problems
if you have equipment or copied configs going back to the days when
Cisco recommended setting switches to not negotiate.

--
   Les Mikesell

Re: Can WMI get duplex settings?

Matt Raykowski
The best I can tell from the documentation (on the Intel namespace) is that the duplex setting exposed is the *configured* setting and not the negotiated setting. Here's the information about the root/IntelNCS namespace:
http://www.fagro.edu.uy/~computo/pub/drivers/Intel_R__PRO_Network_Connections_8/PRO_v8.0_65293_Win2KXP/PRO100/DOCS/XP32/wmi_nic2.htm
http://www.service.serveurquebec.com/micro_data_br_ftp/driver/p4p800/Lan/Intel/APPS/WMI/DOCS/index.htm

I don't know when I'll get around to it but I'll put configurable namespaces on my todo list. For the time being WmiClient forces you to use root/CIMv2. Sorry.

There is an easy way to check this information through VBScript via Remote Registry.  Here's a pretty good thread on how to do this:
http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=14875

I know this isn't automated and built in to OpenNMS but if you really needed it to be there is the potential to write a script using other GpPoller or NRPE_NT...

Matt Raykowski wrote:

> The best I can tell from the documentation (on the Intel namespace) is that
> the duplex setting exposed is the *configured* setting and not the
> negotiated setting. Here's the information about the root/IntelNCS
> namespace:
> http://www.fagro.edu.uy/~computo/pub/drivers/Intel_R__PRO_Network_Connections_8/PRO_v8.0_65293_Win2KXP/PRO100/DOCS/XP32/wmi_nic2.htm
> http://www.service.serveurquebec.com/micro_data_br_ftp/driver/p4p800/Lan/Intel/APPS/WMI/DOCS/index.htm
>
> I don't know when I'll get around to it but I'll put configurable namespaces
> on my todo list. For the time being WmiClient forces you to use root/CIMv2.
> Sorry.
>
> There is an easy way to check this information through VBScript via Remote
> Registry.  Here's a pretty good thread on how to do this:
> http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=14875
>
> I know this isn't automated and built in to OpenNMS but if you really needed
> it to be there is the potential to write a script using other GpPoller or
> NRPE_NT...

Thanks - I appreciate any help I can get with automating this.  What I
really want to know is that the NIC is actually running in full duplex.
There are a mix of old configurations where the switch is locked to full
duplex (which is the root of the problem, since hosts configured to
negotiate are forced to choose half duplex if the switch doesn't
negotiate) and newer ones where everything is supposed to be set to auto
- and a few old pieces where auto still doesn't work.

I'm not sure the test needs to be done every 5 minutes in an OpenNMS
poller, so the VBScript approach might be best if the remote protocol
can get through the firewalls.  Even better would be something that also
understood the switch settings and could spot the mismatches. The rx/tx
buffer settings also are in the registry, but under some unique IDs for
each NIC so the same approach might work there.

I do have the agent for ocsinventory-ng (http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/)
installed on these machines and it is capable of returning registry
values - except that there's no way that I have found to specify things
under the unique ids.

--
   Les Mikesell

New DNS names --> node name change??

Dillon Mills
Hopefully a quick question -- I had a bunch of nodes that were just IP addresses.  I've added DNS names for them, but they've remained labeled by IP address for over a day.   I'd hoped they would just rescan at some point and change, but maybe not.

Is there some way to force them to re-check their DNS name for labeling purposes?   Or do I have to delete the nodes and let them re-discover?   Thanks!

Dillon Mills
Network Systems Architect
University of San Diego

Re: New DNS names --> node name change??

p-brane

On Mar 12, 2009, at 12:36 PM, Dillon Mills wrote:

Ack, I totally didn’t realize I hijacked a thread!   I apologize!   Thanks for pointing it out!    Here’s a new re-send.
-----
Hopefully a quick question -- I had a bunch of nodes that were just IP addresses.  I've added DNS names for them, but they've remained labeled by IP address for over a day.   I'd hoped they would just rescan at some point and change, but maybe not.

Is there some way to force them to re-check their DNS name for labeling purposes?   Or do I have to delete the nodes and let them re-discover?   Thanks!

You're still in the hijacked thread but thanks for trying.  BTW: You can't just hit reply and change the subject to change the thread.  You have to create a new message.

You can force a rescan from the node page or by sending the rescan event with send-event.pl.

David Hustace
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.