Can ONMS collect snmp data on interfaces with out an IP?

Can ONMS collect snmp data on interfaces with out an IP?

Paul Mona
We have some servers which we use for packet captures on our network.  They have 5 interfaces.  One interface has an IP, but the others do not.  All interfaces are up/up, and SNMP data is collect on the server.  It in fact, ONMS shows each of the un-IP'd interfaces, their speed, status, type and description when viewing the node or specific interface.

We would like to see the same type of collected data we see on the interface with an IP:

Bits In/Out
Percent Discards
Percent Errors
Discards
Errors
Unicast Packets
In/Out Traffic Utilization

When we use MRTG and a SNMP get script, it collects for all interfaces, regardless of their being IP'd or not, so it seems like ONMS should as well.

Any suggestions?

Paul

Re: Can ONMS collect snmp data on interfaces with out an IP?

Jeff Gehlbach
On Aug 28, 2008, at 1:44 PM, Paul Mona wrote:

> We have some servers which we use for packet captures on our
> network.  They have 5 interfaces.  One interface has an IP, but the
> others do not.  All interfaces are up/up, and SNMP data is collect
> on the server.  It in fact, ONMS shows each of the un-IP'd
> interfaces, their speed, status, type and description when viewing
> the node or specific interface.
>
> We would like to see the same type of collected data we see on the
> interface with an IP:

Go into the details page for each of these servers, then to Admin ->
Configure SNMP Data Collection per Interface.  Check the checkbox in
the "Collect?" column for all the interfaces you want to know about,
click "Update Collection", and wait a collect cycle or two to begin
seeing data.

> When we use MRTG and a SNMP get script, it collects for all
> interfaces, regardless of their being IP'd or not, so it seems like
> ONMS should as well.

By default, openNMS collects SNMP performance data only for interfaces
with an IP address assigned.  This is a conscious choice designed to
keep your openNMS server's I/O subsystem from being overwhelmed when
you discover that five-floor building with a fully populated 6513 on
each floor -- that's 5760 interfaces :)

There's an "snmpStorageFlag" attribute you can set to "all" in
datacollection-config.xml to collect and persist data on every
interface, but it's to "select" by default.

-jeff

Re: Can ONMS collect snmp data on interfaces with out an IP?

Les Mikesell
Paul Mona wrote:

> We have some servers which we use for packet captures on our network.
> They have 5 interfaces.  One interface has an IP, but the others do
> not.  All interfaces are up/up, and SNMP data is collect on the server.
> It in fact, ONMS shows each of the un-IP'd interfaces, their speed,
> status, type and description when viewing the node or specific interface.
>
> We would like to see the same type of collected data we see on the
> interface with an IP:
>
> Bits In/Out
> Percent Discards
> Percent Errors
> Discards
> Errors
> Unicast Packets
> In/Out Traffic Utilization
>

> When we use MRTG and a SNMP get script, it collects for all interfaces,
> regardless of their being IP'd or not, so it seems like ONMS should as well.

On a per-node basis, go to the node screen and click the admin link (for
the node on the left of the screen, not the top right one), then
'Configure SNMP Data Collection per Interface' and select everything you
want.

For the whole system, you can change snmpStorageFlag="select" to "all"
in datacollection-config.xml but you may pick up more than you want that
way.

--
   Les Mikesell

Re: Can ONMS collect snmp data on interfaces without an IP?

Paul Mona

Thank you Jeff,
I have 8 of these servers, all identical hardware and configurations.  I
have set them all in ONMS to collect on all interfaces.  Since doing so,
4 are working as desired, and 4 are still not collecting.  It has now
been about an hour and 15 minutes since I made the changes.   Shouldn't
that have been enough time for collection to start?

On Aug 28, 2008, at 3:10 PM, Paul Mona wrote:

> 4 are working as desired, and 4 are still not collecting.  It has now
> been about an hour and 15 minutes since I made the changes.
> Shouldn't
> that have been enough time for collection to start?

In most cases, yes.  On the systems that are not collecting for all
interfaces, is collection happening for the primary interface?

-jeff

Re: Can ONMS collect snmp data on interfaceswithout an IP?

Paul Mona

Yes, collection happens for the primary interfaces.  I was also just
told about another box we use for testing that one of my engineers
changed in ONMS to collect on all interfaces yesterday.  So far it is
also only collecting on the primary interface even though it says
"Collected" in the SNMP Status column on the Select SNMP Interfaces page
for the node.

On Aug 28, 2008, at 3:20 PM, Paul Mona wrote:
> Yes, collection happens for the primary interfaces.  I was also just
> told about another box we use for testing that one of my engineers
> changed in ONMS to collect on all interfaces yesterday.  So far it is
> also only collecting on the primary interface even though it says
> "Collected" in the SNMP Status column on the Select SNMP Interfaces
> page
> for the node.

What openNMS version(s) are you running on these systems?

-jeff

Re: Can ONMS collect snmp data oninterfaceswithout an IP?

Paul Mona

I apologize, I should have included that from the beginning:
1.5.93-SNAPSHOT Build 9418

On Aug 28, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Paul Mona wrote:

> 1.5.93-SNAPSHOT Build 9418

Any chance you can try to reproduce this problem with a recent 1.5.94
snapshot?

-jeff

Re: Can ONMS collect snmp dataoninterfaceswithout an IP?

Paul Mona

I am not able to upgrade at this time.  But, in looking at the collectd
logs, I do see ONMS collecting data for the interfaces (really all
interfaces, even those not marked for collection)....it just doesn't
seem to be writing any files for them.

On Aug 28, 2008, at 6:00 PM, Paul Mona wrote:

> I am not able to upgrade at this time.  But, in looking at the
> collectd
> logs, I do see ONMS collecting data for the interfaces (really all
> interfaces, even those not marked for collection)....it just doesn't
> seem to be writing any files for them.

Full filesystem?  Obvious I know, but I have to ask.

-jeff

Re: Can ONMS collect snmp dataoninterfaceswithoutan IP?

James Zuelow

On Aug 28, 2008, at 6:00 PM, Paul Mona wrote:

> I am not able to upgrade at this time.  But, in looking at the
> collectd
> logs, I do see ONMS collecting data for the interfaces (really all
> interfaces, even those not marked for collection)....it just doesn't
> seem to be writing any files for them.

Full filesystem?  Obvious I know, but I have to ask.

-jeff

-

I just had a node do a similar thing -- it was polling SNMP data, but
not writing it to the rrd files.

Turns out that one of the node's interfaces was in the DMZ, and had a
"lower" IP address than the IP address on the bottom of my
threshd-configuration.xml.

For example:  Node's "lowest" IP address (and therefore the primary
address): 192.168.34.1
Threshd-configuration.xml range: 192.168.38.1 to 192.168.55.254

Result is failure to update rrd files.  I didn't think that a threshd IP
range would affect the collectd IP range, but at least on 1.2.9 it seems
to.

Although when threshd-configuration.xml was pointing to the default
192.168.1.0-255 rrd files WERE updated.  So this particular situation
might not apply to you.

James

Re: Can ONMS collect snmp dataoninterfaceswithoutan IP?

Paul Mona

I checked...I have a little more than 50Gig available, so that isn't it.

These are un-IP'd interfaces.  The only thing I think that would match
in my config is the filter:
<filter>IPADDR != '0.0.0.0'</filter>
But if that were the case, it shouldn't work on any of my nodes, not
just a select few.

On Aug 29, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Paul Mona wrote:

> These are un-IP'd interfaces.  The only thing I think that would match
> in my config is the filter:
> <filter>IPADDR != '0.0.0.0'</filter>

Which filter?  The one in your collectd package(s)?  That filter is
used in selecting a primary interface for SNMP on a node, but not in
deciding for which interfaces to collect performance data.  That's a
function of the snmpStorageFlag in combination with the
"issnmpprimary" column in the "ipinterface" table of the database.

-jeff

Re: Can ONMS collectsnmpdataoninterfaceswithoutan IP?

Paul Mona

I was specifically referring to the threshd-configuration.xml for the
filter.

My flags all look to be set as they should.
Below is a node which is not storing data for the interfaces without an
IP (or 0.0.0.0).
opennms=# select * from snmpinterface where nodeid = 600;
  id  | nodeid |    ipaddr     | snmpipadentnetmask | snmpphysaddr |
snmpifindex | snmpifdescr | snmpiftype | snmpifname | snmpifspeed |
snmpifadminstatus | snmpifoperstatus | snmpifalias
------+--------+---------------+--------------------+--------------+----
---------+-------------+------------+------------+-------------+--------
-----------+------------------+-------------
  129 |    600 | 192.168.33.59 |                    |              |
-100 |             |            |            |             |
|                  |
  346 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |                    | 003048318565 |
3 | eth1        |          6 | eth1       |    10000000 |
2 |                2 |
  347 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |                    | 0015170bcd7a |
4 | eth2        |          6 | eth2       |  1000000000 |
1 |                1 |
  348 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |                    | 0015170bcd7b |
5 | eth3        |          6 | eth3       |  1000000000 |
1 |                1 |
  349 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |                    | 0015170bc818 |
6 | eth4        |          6 | eth4       |  1000000000 |
1 |                1 |
  350 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |                    | 0015170bc819 |
7 | eth5        |          6 | eth5       |  1000000000 |
1 |                1 |
  351 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |                    |              |
8 | sit0        |        131 | sit0       |           0 |
2 |                2 |
 5218 |    600 | 192.168.33.59 | 255.255.255.192    | 003048318564 |
2 | eth0        |          6 | eth0       |  1000000000 |
1 |                1 |
(8 rows)

opennms=# select * from ipinterface where nodeid = 600;
  id   | nodeid |    ipaddr     | ifindex |        iphostname        |
ismanaged | ipstatus |      iplastcapsdpoll       | issnmpprimary |
snmpinterfaceid
-------+--------+---------------+---------+--------------------------+--
---------+----------+----------------------------+---------------+------
-----------
 57108 |    600 | 192.168.33.59 |       2 | ord-sniffer-rtp.cpna.net | M
|        1 | 2008-08-28 10:54:48.615-07 | P             |
5218
 57107 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |       8 |                          | U
|        2 | 2008-08-28 10:54:48.615-07 | N             |
351
 57106 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |       7 |                          | U
|        1 | 2008-08-28 10:54:48.615-07 | C             |
350
 57105 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |       6 |                          | U
|        1 | 2008-08-28 10:54:48.615-07 | C             |
349
 57104 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |       5 |                          | U
|        1 | 2008-08-28 10:54:48.615-07 | C             |
348
 57103 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |       4 |                          | U
|        1 | 2008-08-28 10:54:48.615-07 | C             |
347
 40865 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |       3 |                          | U
|        2 | 2008-08-28 10:54:48.615-07 | N             |
346
 57102 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |       2 |                          | U
|        2 | 2008-06-07 08:02:02.356-07 | N             |
5218
(8 rows)

This is an identical box which looks like all the flags are the same,
but this one does store data:
opennms=# select * from snmpinterface where nodeid = 598;
  id   | nodeid |    ipaddr     | snmpipadentnetmask | snmpphysaddr |
snmpifindex | snmpifdescr | snmpiftype | snmpifname | snmpifspeed |
snmpifadminstatus | snmpifoperstatus | snmpifalias
-------+--------+---------------+--------------------+--------------+---
----------+-------------+------------+------------+-------------+-------
------------+------------------+-------------
   130 |    598 | 192.168.33.56 |                    |              |
-100 |             |            |            |             |
|                  |
   354 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |                    | 0015170bcd70 |
4 | eth2        |          6 | eth2       |  1000000000 |
1 |                1 |
   355 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |                    | 0015170bcd71 |
5 | eth3        |          6 | eth3       |  1000000000 |
1 |                1 |
   356 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |                    | 0015170bce2c |
6 | eth4        |          6 | eth4       |  1000000000 |
1 |                1 |
   357 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |                    | 0015170bce2d |
7 | eth5        |          6 | eth5       |  1000000000 |
1 |                1 |
   358 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |                    |              |
8 | sit0        |        131 | sit0       |           0 |
2 |                2 |
  3083 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |                    | 00304831856c |
2 | eth0        |          6 | eth0       |  1000000000 |
1 |                1 |
 17541 |    598 | 192.168.33.56 | 255.255.255.0      | 00304831856d |
3 | eth1        |          6 | eth1       |  1000000000 |
1 |                1 |
(8 rows)

opennms=# select * from ipinterface where nodeid = 598;
  id   | nodeid |    ipaddr     | ifindex |        iphostname        |
ismanaged | ipstatus |      iplastcapsdpoll       | issnmpprimary |
snmpinterfaceid
-------+--------+---------------+---------+--------------------------+--
---------+----------+----------------------------+---------------+------
-----------
 46379 |    598 | 192.168.33.56 |       3 | ord-sniffer-sig.cpna.net | M
|        1 | 2008-08-28 10:55:20.899-07 | P             |
17541
 46378 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |       8 |                          | U
|        2 | 2008-08-28 10:55:20.899-07 | N             |
358
 46377 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |       7 |                          | U
|        1 | 2008-08-28 10:55:20.899-07 | C             |
357
 46376 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |       6 |                          | U
|        1 | 2008-08-28 10:55:20.899-07 | C             |
356
 46375 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |       5 |                          | U
|        1 | 2008-08-28 10:55:20.899-07 | C             |
355
 46374 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |       4 |                          | U
|        1 | 2008-08-28 10:55:20.899-07 | C             |
354
 46373 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |       2 |                          | U
|        1 | 2008-08-28 10:55:20.899-07 | N             |
3083
 47516 |    598 | 0.0.0.0       |       3 |                          | U
|        2 | 2007-09-10 15:10:17.793-07 | N             |
17541
(8 rows)

On Aug 29, 2008, at 9:50 AM, Paul Mona wrote:

> I was specifically referring to the threshd-configuration.xml for the
> filter.

Thresholding and collection are separate operations (although
thresholding in-line with collection will be the default soon).  The
packages in threshd-configuration.xml will not affect collection, only
threshold evaluation.

> My flags all look to be set as they should.
> Below is a node which is not storing data for the interfaces without
> an
> IP (or 0.0.0.0).
>
> <snip snmpinterface>
>
> opennms=# select * from ipinterface where nodeid = 600;
>  id   | nodeid |    ipaddr     | ifindex |        iphostname        |
> ismanaged | ipstatus |      iplastcapsdpoll       | issnmpprimary |
> snmpinterfaceid
> -------+--------+---------------+---------+--------------------------
> +--
> ---------+----------+----------------------------+---------------
> +------
> -----------
> 57108 |    600 | 192.168.33.59 |       2 | ord-sniffer-rtp.cpna.net
> |        1 | 2008-08-28 10:54:48.615-07 | P             |
> 5218
> 57107 |    600 | 0.0.0.0       |       8 |
> |        2 | 2008-08-28 10:54:48.615-07 | N             |
> 351
>
> <snip>

You want "issnmpprimary" to be "C" for interfaces that should be
collected.  A value of "N" in this column means "Not collected".  Try
updating those rows:

update ipinterface set issnmpprimary where nodeid = 600 and
issnmpprimary = 'N';

See if that kicks them into collecting mode.

No, you shouldn't normally have to do this.

-jeff

Re: Can ONMS collectsnmpdataoninterfaceswithoutanIP?

Paul Mona

> You want "issnmpprimary" to be "C" for interfaces that should
> be collected.  A value of "N" in this column means "Not
> collected".  Try updating those rows:
>
> update ipinterface set issnmpprimary where nodeid = 600 and
> issnmpprimary = 'N';
>
> See if that kicks them into collecting mode.

All the interfaces I want to collect on are already set to C
Eth2
Eth3
Eth4
Eth5

The few that have N, I don't want to collect on.

On Aug 29, 2008, at 10:58 AM, Paul Mona wrote:

> The few that have N, I don't want to collect on.

I see.  Sorry, thought you said at one point you wanted to collect on
all the interfaces of these nodes.

Since you're running a 1.5.93 snapshot, my only suggestion is to
upgrade to the most recent available 1.5.94 snapshot and see if the
issue persists.

-jeff

Re: Can ONMScollectsnmpdataoninterfaceswithoutanIP?

Paul Mona

As soon as I can I will try and let you know.